Im interested in reloading

cajunpredfan

Dave, I bought a Lee 4 hole turrent press in 2012 right before Sandy Hook. I have never used it as a turrent press, I run it in single stages. That being said, I think the turrent press has several nice points. One, I have multiple 4 hole turrents, one for each caliber that I load, so switching out calibers is quick and easy. Also it's set the turrent once per caliber as opposed to switching dies and setting for each stage.

The one thing I did was before I bought my press I started saving my brass so that when/if I ever bought a press I would have a stash of brass to use.

Also as everyone says, get a reloading book or several (recommended).

Right now, as you know components are hard to come by. I'm lucking that I had stocked up before the pandemic hit. If you do get into reloading and you need a few components to get your feet wet, reach out.

DaveTN

Dave, I bought a Lee 4 hole turrent press in 2012 right before Sandy Hook. I have never used it as a turrent press, I run it in single stages. That being said, I think the turrent press has several nice points. One, I have multiple 4 hole turrents, one for each caliber that I load, so switching out calibers is quick and easy. Also it's set the turrent once per caliber as opposed to switching dies and setting for each stage.

The one thing I did was before I bought my press I started saving my brass so that when/if I ever bought a press I would have a stash of brass to use.

Also as everyone says, get a reloading book or several (recommended).

Right now, as you know components are hard to come by. I'm lucking that I had stocked up before the pandemic hit. If you do get into reloading and you need a few components to get your feet wet, reach out.
Thanks. So if I didn't make up individual turrets for .38 and .357, change over would only be changing the bullet seating die?

cajunpredfan

Thanks. So if I didn't make up individual turrets for .38 and .357, change over would only be changing the bullet seating die?
For 38 - 357 you should also change your expanding die and crimping die. I usually re-seat them all for that change. I've thought about getting another set so that I could leave them as is.

The other thing I do is just load 357 casing with 38 loads. But, if your like me you have a lot more 38 brass than 357. Just go a little hotter on the 38 load to compensate for the larger cartridge never going above load data from manuals. I work up latter's on my loads to find which load works best for me.

Specializedjon

Another option....

Open your window and throw a big handful of money out the window. HAHAHA or start tying your own flies for fly fishing, same cost.

money GIF

Let us know what you settle on and post pics of your bench/set up. Love seeing what other guys have. Here's mine.

Attachments

• Reloading Bench.jpg
    Reloading Bench.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 40

Omega

Thanks, but I only want to buy once; get what I need and be done. With my background I think I will be okay. But yeah, if a beginner thinks that's too much for them they might want to look at something different. I've had offers for help from established reloaders in my area. I will probably get with them and check it out before I buy.
You'll be ok with your choice, by taking out the index rod it works as a single stage. I used a 3 hole press for many years before I purchased the 4 hole, but converted to 3 hole due to existing turrets. The kit should have everything you need except expendables. Some stuff work ok, but some will/can be upgraded, but should get you reloading right away.

Olevern

.I always recommend the Lyman manual for beginners, comprehensive, easy to understand, not exclusive as to bullet or powder manufacturers

jlanecr500

You really need a climate controlled space and a mentor. It is easy to spend more than needed, depending on what you want to do.

Last winter I built a 14x17 hobby room in my 45x50 garage. I've had a lot of other projects and other more important punchlist items so I haven't finished it yet. I bought a set of used knotty pine kitchen cabinets and some new butcher block countertop. I've dedicated the right end of the bench area for reloading and have moved a good deal of it into place. It's a work in progress. The cabinets create lots of storage space. Next will be mounting my presses. Good thing I have every caliber I own ready to hunt or I'd be scrambling to get the station operational. The opposite wall has 3 36"wide filing cabinets and 3 levels of shelves full length that are set up for plastic totes I got at Rural King. They're for hunting clothes, etc. Fishing rod storage is on the ceiling.
20210619_180705.jpg
20210608_103214.jpg
20210608_103230.jpg
20210618_171330.jpg

Latest posts