Im interested in reloading

diamond hunter

Id like to purchase reloading equipment. Im looking for great quality stuff,Any suggestions on what to buy? Ive been a bench jeweler for 30 years and ready to try my hand at it.Also,whats the best supplier for reloading equipment?Best brand?

fairchaser

You'll get as many opinions as asking about the best rifle or cartridge. It kinda depends on your reloading goals. Loading for hunting and general shooting versus competition or benchrest. Your best value will come with a starter kit like RCBS. From there you can add as you go and you will add I promise. Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
RCBS has great warranty and service, but so does Dillon. Two totally different price points, though.

What are your limitations? Cost? Time? There are lots of cool tools that make reloading easier or more precise, but they are not necessary for accurate hunting ammo for most sane distances.

Personally, I started on a shoestring budget and used Lee dippers and an RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam scale. Didn't even have a trickler at first. RCBS standard dies, hand-me-down press, and Lee hand priming tool. Lee trimmers, hand chamfering tool, and just cleaned the brass by hand since I didn't have a tumbler. I still use many of these, but I have upgraded some stuff. Made accurate ammo then, but now I'm a little more efficient.

You can get equipment and components from Midway USA, Brownell's, Powder Valley, SPS, Brassmanbrass, and many others.

scn

As you have probably seen from this forum, supplies of reloading equipment are likely at an all time low. It is very possible that you won't be able to find the primers and powder you want. So, the actual reloading equipment may be the least of your issues.

infoman jr.

scn":2m30zz8e said:
As you have probably seen from this forum, supplies of reloading equipment are likely at an all time low. It is very possible that you won't be able to find the primers and powder you want. So, the actual reloading equipment may be the least of your issues.
That's a very good point. Components would be an equally important thing to research.

fairchaser

diamond hunter":1u1ba9hr said:
Just for hunting and general shooting.I have a 300wm,2506,3006,22250,340 weatherby mag and a 460 weatherby mag.

Considering your background as a jeweler and some of your specialty calibers, you'll want to make sure your press can handle those dies. I'd start with the one that's most important to you and research the dies. If your goal is to make more accurate ammo, then you might want the match grade dies. If the goal is speed and volume, then the more automated equipment will serve you best. YouTube has many good sources for reloading techniques and equipment. Eventually you will develop your own technique that works best for you.

KPH

Right now is a bad time to get into reloading a supplys are just about a short as ammo. If you do get into it buy some good reloading books, and find a friend who reloads to talk you through some of it. It is not as cheep as many think as you will always find another item you think you need or want. I wouldn't advise anyone to reload just because they think it is cheaper that buying. That being said there are a lot of good reason to reload such as tuning a load to your gun or a rare caliber that is hard to find or not made anymore. I find it relaxing.

DaveB

As a jeweler you already know equipment makes a difference. Be positive your two Weatherby mag cases will fit in whatever you buy.

Look for a Forster co-axial press. My BIL has owned just one press since the early 1980's and he is a stickler about accuracy. LinK:

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product ... ing-press/

Yes, expensive and a standard RCBS press can do the same, almost. Link:
https://www.rcbs.com/presses/single-sta ... -9356.html

You will need a Bench. Personal preferences here. Long. deeper than a normal countertop. Case lube, cleaning lube, cleaning liquids, and sandpaper-like carbon particles will come in regular contact so the surface needs to be tough or easily replaceable and cannot be metal. It needs to be well-constructed-many lag bolt the legs to 2x4 studs in your home. Have a foot rest that will allow for heavy containers to help keep the desk steady.

Remember-keep smokeless powder, primers, and black powder in separate storage locations. Never have two powder cannisters open on your bench.

You will need good lighting. If you use a digital scale it may need to be on separate line from fluorescent lighting and sheltered from a/c ducting.

You will be measuring a lot-get a dial or digital caliper that is accurate and easy in your hands.

Create a separate favorites folder for the component websites you will visit. Because of the shortages check your local garage/estate sales in addition to the various retail sites.

Yes, I like RCBS dies. I like the RCBS autoprime. I have an RCBS 10-10 beam since 1985. I have a Lyman case trimmer w/10 collets, a turbo tumbler, and a bunch of hand tools. I have a Frankford stainless steel wet tumbler.

Nosler makes very good bullets.

Handloading is a great hobby. keeps you sober, off the street, and very rewarding.

DaveB

Don't give up so easy.

I will spot you 50 pieces of brass, 25 Nosler Ballistic Tips, 12 Partitions, and 13 Accubonds all 180 grain.

I can't share 300 rounds, mine are made specifically to fit my Browning.

Maybe someone close can mentor you.

Hardwoodmaterials

If you shoot those Weatherby Mags very often the savings will even out on the initial cost of equipment fairly quick. If you have the brass for them you should be able to load a box with quality bullets for under $20 a box and most of the Weatherby ammo I have seen are $75+ a box. I can load a box of 300 Win with Accubonds for about $12 a box where they are around $40-$50 a box. You can save money by reloading if you shoot a lot or shoot uncommon calibers plus you can adjust the ammo to suit your rifle. You just have to stock up on your primers, powder and bullets when you come across them.

Snowwolfe

diamond hunter":n3zexn1z said:
Just for hunting and general shooting.I have a 300wm,2506,3006,22250,340 weatherby mag and a 460 weatherby mag.

For the cartridges you want to reload I say go for it. Most of the current shortages are in handgun components and .22 calibers and faster powders which are designed for smaller rounds. Even though I own a Forster Co-Ax it would be a bad first choice for a press. You need something beefier and with a longer stroke for leverage when resizing those big boys. First thing I would buy is a RCBS Rock Chucker, might be able to find a kit on sale. Then a couple of reloading manuals. Personally I think the Hornady is the best one on the market.

Read, read some more, then read some more. You will realize what you need and can shop for it as time and funds permit it.

Urban_Hunter

I wouldn't let SOME shortages hold you back. I was in Reloaders Bench two weeks ago and they had about everything you could want. They may not have Varget or RL26, but to get started they had at least a few different powders available for about any caliber you wanted. They had bullets and brass just like usual. The component shortage is NOTHING compared to Ammo shortage. If anything it's a good time to find a combo that works with what's available now... because if it's available now it will likely be available dang near any time.

As to the original question, I would look hard at the rcbs rock chucker starter kit. Good quality components for a package deal. Personally went with Hornady, and it does fine but wish I had gone RCBS. If you have the funds and want reloading to be somewhat enjoyable, the must haves according to me are: 1: case prep center. 2: RCBS chargemaster or equivalent

KPH

Sierra, Hornady, Modern Reloading,Layman, Hodgdon. Any one of them for a start. I just did a quick count of 11 I have. Plus Cartridges of the World.

DaveB

Nosler, I like #7; #8 is supposed to be better, hmm..both are out of print.

I checked Ebay, they have them, look for
"
Nosler Reloading Guide

"

You may be able to find a mentor who can introduce you to the process and steer you around trouble spots while at the same time letting you do the tasks necessary to become proficient.

And ask questions here. Many will help.

Hardwoodmaterials

I like the Nosler book and Hornady book since I load mostly Nosler and Hornady bullets. You can get free load data books from some of the powder companies and the Hodgdon yearly load magazine is only a few bucks and can be found on magazine racks that sell outdoor magazines.

DaveB

The Nosler books have fairly good instructions in the first part of the book.

As the Nosler website says, "for those who actually read the book"...

Latest posts