I just missed one

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Got home from taking a youth this morning, and decided to run to the back of my place to see if I could get one to gobble. First series produced a gobble on the neighbors who leases his property. Hit the call again and he gobbled right back…he's probably 400 yards away, down in the bottom across the creek that's the border. I knew I had my work cut out for me to get him to my side, I've have tried this same setup 20-30 times over the years and never once had one come to my place. I had to work my way all the way to the back of my place, back down the ridge and get to where I thought he would cross. When I got close to that spot I called and he gobbled right back but seemed like he might be working away to the pasture to the other side of the holler. I got to my spot and called again and he gobbled…on the usual spot where there is a nice logging road they love to stay on. So I sat down and called and would gobble every time, but generally stayed in the same spot. I started to get a little nasty with him and he would cut me off and double and triple gobble on top of my calls. Now, don't laugh at me, but all of this calling is with a box call. I have never used one until two years ago and I just really like the sound from it. Anyway, I get him really worked up, and switch calls to a glass pot. A few yelps and clucks and purrs and he goes silent. This whole time I'm guessing he's 150 yards away and I'm 10 yards from the creek. After about maybe 3 minutes he gobbles at 50 yards right in the creek bank. I see him walk down into the creek and back up, and he's looking hard for his hen. He gets to 35 and I'm on him, wait for him to clear some saplings, boom and off he goes…I squared up a two inch sapling that I never saw. I missed him, but THAT was a great hunt!

Wrangler95

Don't feel lonely,I've missed quite a few myself down thru the years!If a turkey hunter says he has never missed one,he has never shot at many!!