Missed one yesterday

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Had a fun hunt yesterday even though I missed the shot. Started the morning sitting on my lawn mower in the shed drinking coffee, waiting to see if one would gobble. Hadn't heard one since Thursday last week, so I didn't feel like walking out for nothing. Plus I had logs to pull out of the woods and had to get them sawmilled that day for a friend. At the appropriate time I heard one and it sounded like it was on my property, so I walked the trail back a ways. After about 5 minutes he gobbled again, and I know exactly where he's roosted, right on my ridge top food plot. By this time it is way too light out to try to get a close set up, and I am not in good position being at the bottom of the ridge. As I'm sitting there pondering what to do I hear a hen start clicking across the creek on the neighbors, and I am right between her and the gobbling tom. I think to myself I'll just stay right here. I get set up and a couple more hens join in, so I start talking to them and he is just hammering away. I hear him fly down, but he stays put on top and continues to gobble. I work my way up the hill, and finally get in good position down the hill from him but right beside an old logging road that I use to get to the food plot. Next thing I know there's a hen clucking at 60 yards and she's between me and him, so her and I start cutting and clucking our heads off and the tom is losing his mind gobbling at us. After about 10 minutes of that she goes silent and I assume she and her girlfriends are up with him. I stayed put and called and he would answer but still up top. Finally he went silent, so I just sat there thinking what to do. Next thing I know he gobbles in the gully directly on the other side of the logging road maybe 50 yards away. I call but no response, but now I can hear him drumming so I keep positioning his direction as he is going down the hill. After a short bit of silence he gobbled on the logging road below me at maybe 30 yards but I can't see him because it's too thick and the a little hill between us. He gobbled again and I now see a hen and then another working their way around me and what will be down the hill where I started the morning. He is gobbling good again by now and I can see him occasionally through the thick brush but no shot. I keep twisting my body around the tree following him in the scope, but just no creat shot. The hens have dropped off the side of the ridge and I can no longer see them, and then he finally gets in the clear but is at the drop off so he disappears. I cut at him and he sticks his head up but as I shoot he goes back into strut and I miss.
This is the first bird that I have worked on my property that was actually roosted on my place as they usually only roost on the neighbors properties. A real fun hunt for sure!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Great hunt, and I bet that bird had NO IDEA what happened... he will be right back in there in a day and you get to play all over again! Good luck with him!
Didn't hear him this morning as I sat outside waiting to leave for work at 6. I just hope I didn't get a pellet or two in him and he died a slow death. He flew about 100 yards and landed in a tree after the shot and I bumped as I walked out. He looked just fine but you never know.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Stop drinking those IPAs and you'll start shooting like a man.
Sadly I've only had maybe 4-5 since September when I found out I have gout 😢 😩 I still can't run on my ankles, but I can at least walk without too much pain now…except up these ridges to chase a turkey:rolleyes: Having a beer once a month or so makes them taste oh so good though!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Hate you missed him, man. But I bet this was a sight to see 🤣
Yeah…I got my hunting clothes on and even put my vest on, sat on the mower with a 32oz Yeti of coffee and really enjoyed it. I just now realized that I started to take it with me to the woods and sat it down on the edge of the yard. Better get that picked up.:)

JCDEERMAN

Yeah…I got my hunting clothes on and even put my vest on, sat on the mower with a 32oz Yeti of coffee and really enjoyed it. I just now realized that I started to take it with me to the woods and sat it down on the edge of the yard. Better get that picked up.:)
I've done that. I take mine with me to enjoy of its a silent morning, but as soon as he gobbles, I drop and go. Had to go back and get it many times

bigtex

Hate you missed him but it happens to us all at one time or another. At least you had a great hunt and that's what it's all about. Good luck with your next encounter!!

Bgoodman30

Dang it! I know the feeling because i've been there many times! One thing I have learned about hunting timber ground with logging roads is to always set up where you have a clear shot of the road! I like to set up about 20 yards above them in case he angles up and you don't get stuck below! Good luck finding him again...

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Dang it! I know the feeling because i've been there many times! One thing I have learned about hunting timber ground with logging roads is to always set up where you have a clear shot of the road! I like to set up about 20 yards above them in case he angles up and you don't get stuck below! Good luck finding him again...
Now you tell me?!? 😂 😩

Just kidding…I was literally looking up the logging road and could see the clearing of the food plot where he was gobbling, and I thought there was no way he was going to take the gully down and not the logging road.

Bgoodman30

Now you tell me?!? 😂 😩

Just kidding…I was literally looking up the logging road and could see the clearing of the food plot where he was gobbling, and I thought there was no way he was going to take the gully down and not the logging road.

I missed one just like that.. He was strutting and dancing down the road straight to me, sun in his fan, could not have been more perfect.. Then for no reason at 60 yards he hangs a right and drops down into a draw... That's when the panic set in..

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
All this worry about the missed turkey is making your wife happy.... you arent chasing her around the house trying to impregnate her with your 9th child! :)
We think we've limited out, so to speak. We thought that after the first (twins) too though! They were premature at under 3 pounds and it was a tough tough first couple years. After this last one she said she wants to be done, which hasn't entered her mind for the last 16 years.

Latest posts