I found a awesome knife cheap!!!!!

Big J

I know you guys are going to think I am nuts but let me tel ya. If you go to a walmart and find a knife in a canvass or leather sheath in a plastic adult proof pack hanging on the rack and it says OZARK TRAIL on the package. Buy it!! I swear this thing catches an edge faster than any knife I have ever seen. I mean you can make this dude a razor with very little effort. It smokes every other knife I have owned and I have some good ones!! I swear you will not believe how awesome this blade is. it will be my primary knife this year in my Bag!! I mean scary sharp!!

Hogbear

Usually a knife that is very easy to sharpen won't hold the sharp edge very long. The manufacturers use a softer steel for cheaper knifes because it's easier to stamp out the baldes quickly without a lot of grinding. That's not necessarily a bad thing as everything is a compromise. If you have a very wear-resistant steel that is hardened to a very high rockwell hardness, it will hold an edge a looong time, but it's a tough job to re-sharpen the thing unless you use a diamond hone. The softer steels that wear faster won't hold an edge nearly as long, but they're easy to get realy sharp with a whetstone. My father prefers the softer steels and he hated a knife that I got him in S30V steel because when it eventually got dull from cutting roots on fruit trees and digging in the dirt and such, it was such a pain to sharpen.

Big J

I think I like a soft steell then. I just Cut away with it and when it dulls run it thru my Warthog 7 or 8 times and Back to razor!! As long as it willl feild dress a couple deer real quick before resharpening. That is all I am looking for. The gerber is a soft steel and thin. This is a much thicker blade but looks similar to it. And hey if I lose it? No big whoop!!

PDenning25

Sounds like a diamond in the rough
last year at a garage sale I bought a 7 " fixed blade for 2 dollars
Its stainless and a bugger to sharpen
But with a little time on my diamond hone and leather strap I can shave with it
Just because they cost less doesnt mean they are cheap
Pat

Timber Ghost

Big J said:
I know you guys are going to think I am nuts but let me tel ya. If you go to a walmart and find a knife in a canvass or leather sheath in a plastic adult proof pack hanging on the rack and it says OZARK TRAIL on the package. Buy it!! I swear this thing catches an edge faster than any knife I have ever seen. I mean you can make this dude a razor with very little effort. It smokes every other knife I have owned and I have some good ones!! I swear you will not believe how awesome this blade is. it will be my primary knife this year in my Bag!! I mean scary sharp!!
Yes, and they cost about 10 dollars. I have quite a few knives ,some fairly costly, and I carry and use this knife a lot. Heck of a knife for the money.

Latest posts