Hunting vs road hunting

Winchester

MUP said:
bowriter said:
Join my protest group: BAN ALL COVERT CAMERAS. Of course, we also oppose shooting houses, box blinds, salt blocks, any type of call.

Our goal is to totally eliminate anything that makes hunting easy and eliminates scouting and woodsmanship.

Hey, you're not dissin' the Trophy Rock now are ye? :grin:
:grin: Better hope not, the flaming will begin if so!!! :D

CAW

Winchester said:
MUP said:
bowriter said:
Join my protest group: BAN ALL COVERT CAMERAS. Of course, we also oppose shooting houses, box blinds, salt blocks, any type of call.

Our goal is to totally eliminate anything that makes hunting easy and eliminates scouting and woodsmanship.

I'm quite positive there are no trophy rocks on 102's farm. That's simply too much of an advantage. He wouldn't go for that.

No, I'm quite sure his preferred method goes something like this...

Without the use of a map or any prior scouting he crawls 10 miles to his farm on his hands and knees. Upon arrival, he enters the woods in total darkness, preferably while a tropical storm is passing through. After running several barefooted wind sprints to elevate his heart rate, he then ascends the tallest shagbark hickory he can find and begins his hunt. He swings from tree to tree wearing nothing but a loincloth only to stop on the occasional limb to wait in ambush mode. Dead trees are the only acceptable "stands" as live trees with healthy limbs are simply too big of an advantage. While balancing himself on one foot, he passes every deer he sees until he spots a 7.5+ year old buck sporting a 200" or better typical rack (double droptines are preferred, but not mandatory). He waits for the giant buck to pass downwind and once the deer is at least 50 yards away, he times his jump perfectly, leaping with his eyes closed and lands on the deer's back. Once on top of the deer, he places his dominant hand behind his back and strangles the deer with his other hand. If the giant buck gets away, it's just part of the experience and he restarts the entire process.

Please understand, 102 is a REAL hunter. The rest of us can only hope that we can become the ultimate predator that he is. You see, we are the lowly peasants of the woods and our skill level resides in the same category of a 9 year old girl playing Cabelas Big Game adventures on her Playstation 3. But hey, we can dream... :grin:

bowriter

R.I.P.
Bowhunters are better than gun hunters????

Try and prove that.

Put one of eachin the woods-no weapons of any kind, only a camera and see who gets the most pictures.

Phtographers are the best hunters of all.

And wemmins is better than mens.

Barnes Ridge Rambler

CAW said:
Winchester said:
MUP said:
bowriter said:

I'm quite positive there are no trophy rocks on 102's farm. That's simply too much of an advantage. He wouldn't go for that.

Without the use of a map or any prior scouting he crawls 10 miles to his farm on his hands and knees. Upon arrival, he enters the woods in total darkness, preferably while a tropical storm is passing through. After running several barefooted wind sprints to elevate his heart rate, he then ascends the tallest shagbark hickory he can find and begins his hunt. He swings from tree to tree wearing nothing but a loincloth only to stop on the occasional limb to wait in ambush mode. Dead trees are the only acceptable "stands" as live trees with healthy limbs are simply too big of an advantage. While balancing himself on one foot, he passes every deer he sees until he spots a 7.5+ year old buck sporting a 200" or better typical rack (double droptines are preferred, but not mandatory). He waits for the giant buck to pass downwind and once the deer is at least 50 yards away, he times his jump perfectly, leaping with his eyes closed and lands on the deer's back. Once on top of the deer, he places his dominant hand behind his back and strangles the deer with his other hand. If the giant buck gets away, it's just part of the experience and he restarts the entire process.

Please understand, 102 is a REAL hunter. The rest of us can only hope that we can become the ultimate predator that he is. You see, we are the lowly peasants of the woods and our skill level resides in the same category of a 9 year old girl playing Cabelas Big Game adventures on her Playstation 3. But hey, we can dream... :grin:

This post made my day. My eyes watered I was laughing so hard. Get em CAW!

Hunter 257W

bowriter said:
Bowhunters are better than gun hunters????

Try and prove that.

Put one of eachin the woods-no weapons of any kind, only a camera and see who gets the most pictures.

Phtographers are the best hunters of all.

And wemmins is better than mens.

I am certainly no photograper but let me go out in the woods with no rifle in hand and I PROMISE that the buck of a lifetime will come by and take a nap at my feet! :grin:

Hunter 257W

CAW said:
Winchester said:
MUP said:
bowriter said:

Now THAT is a true hunter! :grin: HOWEVER, being that I am a mere mortal, I'll stick with my 257 Weatherby loaded to the hilt with the highest ballistic coefficient bullet I can get my hands on. You see I love to eat chili all thru deer season making it practically impossible to get close to any living creature without being detected, much less something with the nose of a deer. :blush:

CAW

climb_higher said:
CAW said:
Winchester said:
MUP said:
bowriter said:

This post made my day. My eyes watered I was laughing so hard. Get em CAW!

Just having a little fun! :grin:

CAW

Hunter 257W said:
CAW said:
Winchester said:
MUP said:
bowriter said:

Now THAT is a true hunter! :grin: HOWEVER, being that I am a mere mortal, I'll stick with my 257 Weatherby loaded to the hilt with the highest ballistic coefficient bullet I can get my hands on. You see I love to eat chili all thru deer season making it practically impossible to get close to any living creature without being detected, much less something with the nose of a deer. :blush:

Agreed! :)

bowriter

R.I.P.
All bowhunters think bowhunters arebetter than rifle hunters. Traditional bowhunters think they are better hunters than compound hunters and both are sure a crossbow is spawn of the devil.

Rifle hunter who self-load think they are better than those who buy off the shelf.

The truth is, it is not what is your hands, it is what is in your heart.

When I guided, with some 50-stands to place, I often spent five days a week during Feb and March scouting and marking locations. I loved it and boy did I learn a lot about deer travel that I would never have found buy hunting food plots from shooting houses and using trail cameras.

To me, that was the best part of hunting. Did it make me a better hunter? Yes, no question about it. Did I look down on the hunters I placed on those stands, the ones who benefitted from all my effort? No, that is what they expected from me. The pleasure I got from a hunter shooting a book buck from a stand I scouted and placed was almost as much as if I had shot the buck.

In short, to me, there is one heck of a lot more to hunting than pulling a trigger or loosing an error. I don't think much of the shortcuts.

Today, I am forced to use a crossbow and I hate it. But everything up to the point I shoot is still pure hunting. No bait, no salt, no food plots. Just well placed stands.

That said, I don't give a hoot down a well what anyone else does just as long as they don't get out of their truck and do it on my land.

At a baby CAW...
good post.

Good entertainment!
Well written.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

CAW

102 said:
At a baby CAW...
good post.

Good entertainment!
Well written.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Glad you liked it and thanks for being a good sport about it. I was just messing with you. :grin:

Trust me, I know.

I hear you are really a good guy.

I enjoyed your description of me.

Very entertaining and also pretty accurate. LOL
(if you want, I can show you how I "limb hop" !!)

BTW, I like your videos. Especially the self filming stuff by bow!!!
IMO, one of the ULTIMATE challenges in taking a mature buck.

Good stuff!

bowriter

R.I.P.
I saw this one from the road. So I parked at the head of my driveway, took my crossbow and sneaked down the creekbank, using the trees for cover. She saw me and walked behind the house before I could get a shot.

All perfectly legal. I own all of the property involved and it is legal to shoot there.

Would you call this hunting? If so, I would hope you are in the minority.

CAW

102 said:
Trust me, I know.

I hear you are really a good guy.

I enjoyed your description of me.

Very entertaining and also pretty accurate. LOL
(if you want, I can show you how I "limb hop" !!)

BTW, I like your videos. Especially the self filming stuff by bow!!!
IMO, one of the ULTIMATE challenges in taking a mature buck.

Good stuff!

Thanks, I appreciate that!

AT Hiker

bowriter said:
I saw this one from the road. So I parked at the head of my driveway, took my crossbow and sneaked down the creekbank, using the trees for cover. She saw me and walked behind the house before I could get a shot.

All perfectly legal. I own all of the property involved and it is legal to shoot there.

Would you call this hunting? If so, I would hope you are in the minority.

Sure, you can call it whatever you want, last time I checked we still called it America (it has been a few days since I last checked though).

Mike D

When it is dead it is a KILL. There is no in between once the game is dead. Call it hunting or not the animal was KILLED and is DEAD. As long as it is properly taken care of and all else is legal a KILL is just that.
I've hunted a large buck by pulling off the road while driving through some public land. I had the buck run right across the road in front of me chasing a Doe. It took me nearly 2 hours to follow, find, and set up on both of them until I got to shoot my bow. Was it legal?

timberjack86

bowriter said:
All bowhunters think bowhunters arebetter than rifle hunters. Traditional bowhunters think they are better hunters than compound hunters and both are sure a crossbow is spawn of the devil.

Rifle hunter who self-load think they are better than those who buy off the shelf.

The truth is, it is not what is your hands, it is what is in your heart.

When I guided, with some 50-stands to place, I often spent five days a week during Feb and March scouting and marking locations. I loved it and boy did I learn a lot about deer travel that I would never have found buy hunting food plots from shooting houses and using trail cameras.

To me, that was the best part of hunting. Did it make me a better hunter? Yes, no question about it. Did I look down on the hunters I placed on those stands, the ones who benefitted from all my effort? No, that is what they expected from me. The pleasure I got from a hunter shooting a book buck from a stand I scouted and placed was almost as much as if I had shot the buck.

In short, to me, there is one heck of a lot more to hunting than pulling a trigger or loosing an error. I don't think much of the shortcuts.

Today, I am forced to use a crossbow and I hate it. But everything up to the point I shoot is still pure hunting. No bait, no salt, no food plots. Just well placed stands.

That said, I don't give a hoot down a well what anyone else does just as long as they don't get out of their truck and do it on my land.
Excellent post!

timberjack86

102 said:
CAW...
read bowriters post.

You guys all are taking this too seriously.

Bowhunters are better than gun hunters. PERIOD.

ANYONE is better thatn a road hunter!

And spearhunters are better than bowhunters.

Machete hunters, especially DULL machete hunters, are the BEST.

Except for Atlatal hunters who are in a class all by themselves.
I hunt rats with a red ryder. Does that make me better than a bowhunter? :whistle:

Latest posts