How will CWD spread?

BSK

Funny, I react to baked ham. But I can eat cured country ham. Same with bacon, I can eat it as long as its cured. guessing the salt or curing process plays into this. I can now eat some beef but have to stick to lean cuts. No ribeyes or hamburgers, mostly lean filets. Still trying to figure out pork, I can eat some but have to be careful. And sausages are a big no.
Fascinating. Figuring that illness out is a constant battle. I could eat pork loin, but pork brats or sausage gave me some of the worst reactions I ever had. I just wish it had been discovered earlier. I picked up the illness in 1991, and doctors said I was crazy when I told them I was allergic to beef. Illness wasn't discovered until around 2007. The test for it didn't come out until 2010. By then, I was over it.

BigAl

Fascinating. Figuring that illness out is a constant battle. I could eat pork loin, but pork brats or sausage gave me some of the worst reactions I ever had. I just wish it had been discovered earlier. I picked up the illness in 1991, and doctors said I was crazy when I told them I was allergic to beef. Illness wasn't discovered until around 2007. The test for it didn't come out until 2010. By then, I was over it.
5.5 years ago for me. Fading and hoping it will be completely gone at some point, the sooner the better. Crazy that its been that long since you had it.

BSK

5.5 years ago for me. Fading and hoping it will be completely gone at some point, the sooner the better. Crazy that its been that long since you had it.
If you're like most sufferers, it will fade with time. Avoiding reactions is the key to getting over it faster. I contracted it in 1991 and it wasn't until 2010-12 that I first started trying small amounts of beef to see if I was fully over it (after probably 15 years of being careful and not having a reaction). 20 years later, I was able to eat the beef without reaction, but what my body wasn't ready for was digesting beef! It takes certain gut bacteria, and I had lost them over time. Really took a while before I could regain those gut bacteria.

Henry

I have alpha gal, so I can't eat venison. So I no longer have to worry about eating deer that might be infected with CWD. One of just a couple of positives from having AG.
Do some research on Chlorine Dioxide. It's known to remove even deeply buried Lyme Disease.

BringBackThe80s

With TWRA changing what areas are considered high risk mid-season, even I don't always know what falls within the CWD transport laws. And I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable on game laws.
Yes, but that's why we all do (or certainly should) review the handbook every season and then check the pertinent parts every time we go to a county we have not hunted since last season.

Anything else is irresponsible at best and downright unethical when it comes to following CWD guidelines.

BringBackThe80s

That is a excellent point, I honestly don't know what TN counties are what anymore.

Also, if a hunter or group of hunters didn't think deer hunting 24/7 like many of us, then they likely wouldn't even think transporting a carcass back home would be "illegal". I can almost guarantee people who only deer hunt Thanksgiving weekend with friends/family think and know nothing about CWD and the rules that follow.
And "That's why we can't have nice things."

Nobody (except maybe "apprentice" hunters under direct supervision of a qualified and knowledgeable hunter) has any business buying a license unless they are going to read the handbook, too.

BringBackThe80s

I'd bet way more than that. CWD has been around since the 60's if what I have read is true. Furthermore testing wasn't hardly available until after the MCD incident and CWD spreading into places like Wisconsin and Michigan (big deer hunting states).

If it's been around since the 60s and they couldn't test or didn't test, I'd say 10's of millions of people have eaten infected meat over that period.
What is the "MCD incident"? I've followed CWD pretty closely over the years but that acronym is not ringing a bell.

Doskil

CWD spreading in the Carolinas

Swampster

And "That's why we can't have nice things."

Nobody (except maybe "apprentice" hunters under direct supervision of a qualified and knowledgeable hunter) has any business buying a license unless they are going to read the handbook, too.
I've read the handbook and it can be a little confusing. But really, all that matters is what applies to my two counties - that is not so complicated at all.

Bone Collector

What is the "MCD incident"? I've followed CWD pretty closely over the years but that acronym is not ringing a bell.
MCD was supposed to be short for Mad Cow Disease. Not related, but after those folks caught MCD in Europe in the 90's the CDC and pretty much all the "Health" organizations and "disease control" organizations, decided that since it was assumed that MCD couldn't spread from cow to human and it did, that now CWD is a possibility.

The CWDs hypothesis that CWD can jump to humans (despite, never being proven) is largely based on MCD jumping from cows to humans.