How to persuade a Buck

SteveJ

This year I decided to move stand locations closer to a thicket. I've just been 3 times since MZ opened but everytime I've seen a lot of deer and one shooter each time I've been but it still hasn't worked out to put one in the truck. The first morning, he came by with his nose to the ground in a hurry. I had shooting lanes and tried hitting the grunt tube when he stepped into the openings but he never let up. 5 minutes later I heard a shot. The second time, a good buck was chasing a doe hard in and out of a thicket for 45 minutes. Everytime he stopped, he was behind a tree or brush. I tried hitting the grunt tube again but of course he had other things on his mind. This morning I went and saw another shooter 100 yards away making his way through thick brush. I tried grunting a few times and he never payed me any attention. 5 minutes later another shot in his direction. What do y'all do to persuade a buck to come your direction? I thought about maybe a snort wheeze or doe bleat but not sure. I know if a buck has a doe he's after, it would be nearly impossible to pull him off. I'm just really frustrated.

Bushape

Sounds like a lot of bad luck but is there anything in your direction that deer are naturally traveling to? Have you laid down a tremendous amount of scent and the deer have you pegged? Obviously these bucks are going to where the ladies are and it doesn't sound like any of the ladies are travelling your way either.

cbhunter

As far as stopping one that is in hot pursuit, he will never hear the grunt. A loud meehhhhh(mouth bleat) does much better. If he don't stop the first time, do it much louder. Sometimes hollering works but be quick when he stops. As far as one just cruising through like your 3rd encounter, a snort wheeze should definitely get his attention this time of year. If your just stuck on a grunt call, try being louder. None of the above options are fool proof unfortunately. Good luck and stick with it. Sounds like your in a great spot

SteveJ

Sounds like a lot of bad luck but is there anything in your direction that deer are naturally traveling to? Have you laid down a tremendous amount of scent and the deer have you pegged? Obviously these bucks are going to where the ladies are and it doesn't sound like any of the ladies are travelling your way either.
I've not spooked any deer. The first morning I had 13 deer come through. None were spooked. The second morning I saw 6 deer. I had a small 8 pt. work 2 scrapes near me and had a doe, button buck, and spike around me for an hour and not bothered. This morning had 6 deer come through so I've got the does and I'm seeing the bucks. I just can't get them to stop. I guess I'll holler real loud.

Grnwing

If the buck is chasing or on a trail of a hot doe, he is going to be hard to stop. It can down right crazy when they start chasing and they will run through traffic chasing that doe. You may want to try an estrous bleat if you're seeing the bucks but they aren't already on a doe. It's very exciting to see them chasing but it can also be frustrating when you see a big buck but cannot get a shot off. It sounds like you are in a great spot and I would keep at it.

DeerMan66

A loud mouth bleat or hey is your best bet at stopping a chasing buck. But be ready when he stops because he's not going to stand still long. He is focused and will go right back to chasing after a few seconds. Good luck the next time you are in that honey hole.

Latest posts