How often do you shoot your bow during season?

mq32

Shoot 25-30 arrows a night if I am not in the woods. My adopted daughter( she was my granddaughter)"helps me". She is four and she is great for my ego, she always say great shot dad......no matter where it hits.LOL. No big deal really, my broadheads fly like my fieldpoints out to 40 yards and group the same no matter which broadhead I am using. Two years ago I would have bet money you couldn't make a broadhead fly with straight fletching,now I am shooting blazers with a straight fletch.

catman529

Thanks for the advice.

scn said:
IMO, not practicing once the season starts is one of the biggest mistakes a bowhunter can make.
That thought crossed my mind when season started, which is why I have shot every few days since season opened. I'll pick up a few arrows when I get the chance and shoot the field points. Just make sure they shoot consistently and always aim at the center of the target even if the arrows hit high, since my bow is sighted in for the thunderheads. Sounds like a good plan....

Also, on a side note, a hay bale backed by a cheap foam target from Walmart will stop my arrows with a broadhead before the point ever comes out the other side. Should have saved money and just bought 2 hay bales.

scn said:
I try to shoot 10-12 arrows at least every other day during the season. Most of my shooting is at 30-40 yds to make the closer shots feel easy when the time comes.

Catman, a suggestion would be to forgo a trip to your stand and use the gas money you save on not taking the trip to buy 2-3 arrows. Set them up with field points, and if you are getting good, consistent broadhead flight, don't worry about shooting the broadheads any more. Keep them sharp and ready to go.

Four to five sets of shooting those three practice arrows should have you ready to go when you get your next chance.

IMO, not practicing once the season starts is one of the biggest mistakes a bowhunter can make.

X2!

For most of us, the best we will be prepared for the bow season, and the entire deer season, as far as shooting is concerned, is probably opening morning.
Unless we continue to practice.

Smoked

Just about every night. Don't get home in time to hunt so me and the kids head to the barn and shoot.

Latest posts