How often do you shoot your bow during season?

catman529

If you aren't shooting at a deer all the time, how often do you go and shoot your bow a few times to stay sharp? I figured I should at least shoot every few days... today I shot four times with the broadhead, one shot at 20 yards, one at 15, 10 and 5 yards. All of them were within 1.5" of the mark and would kill a deer quick so I am feeling pretty confident out to 20 yards. My arrows start to drop more than I am comfortable with past 25-30 yards. I only have 1 pin on the sight so I am keeping it to 20 yards which in my opinion is better, I love getting closer to the deer.

catman529

haha x-bows down't count! that is not real archery... x-bows are what TV guys use to send missiles into the pump station of a whopper of a swamp donkey, sending him on a quick dirt nap!

But dang 30 times a week, only reason i won't do that is cause I don't want to keep switching between broadhead and field tips, and don't want to have to keep sharpening a broad head just because of target practice... any solutions?

bowriter

R.I.P.
Easy. Take one arrow, put a field point on it. Shoot it 30 times. I'm assuming you have more than one arrow. Better practice that way for sure. Keeps you from making an immediate correction and deer don't usually let you do that.

catman529

I have 4 arrows. Might get some ACC arrows from a friend/member here who does not shoot them anymore... just have to fletch them, they might fly better out to 30 yards too.

My broadheads fly about an inch or two lower than field points. How do I go from shooting 30 field points to shooting a deer with a broadhead?

hunterncoach

I shoot one day a week...1 at 30, 1 at 40, & 2 from 20 (off the deck), sometimes I add a 33 yd quartering away shot & a 50...just in case. So no more than 7 arrows in a week. Keeps me fresh....

bowriter

R.I.P.
catman529 said:
I have 4 arrows. Might get some ACC arrows from a friend/member here who does not shoot them anymore... just have to fletch them, they might fly better out to 30 yards too.

My broadheads fly about an inch or two lower than field points. How do I go from shooting 30 field points to shooting a deer with a broadhead?

Aim for the bullseye no matter what you are shooting. It doesn't matter where your arrows hit as long as they are consistent. If your bh's hit dead center, then when shooting fp's, expect them to hit higher.

catman529

bowriter said:
catman529 said:

Aim for the bullseye no matter what you are shooting. It doesn't matter where your arrows hit as long as they are consistent. If your bh's hit dead center, then when shooting fp's, expect them to hit higher.
well duh... thanks for clearing that up, some ideas are simple but never cross my mind! lol. I appreciate your advice anytime.

TNDeerGuy

I shoot everyday year-around, even if it is just 1-6 arrows. I believe it is important to stay sharp, plus I shoot 3D tourneys and I have to stay "in practice" for that as well.

catman529

screw your neighborhood. Unless they actually have a rule against it, or if there is no safe direction to shoot, I would still do it..

Nealmeally

bowriter said:
so far, five times. When i shot a compound, I shot at least 30-times a week.

Yep (compound).. I try and sling bout 10 arrows everyday.. Start at 40yrds and end at 20yrds... Only takes bout 15 minutes, all I gotta do is step out back door..Keeps fundamentals in check at least..

scn

I try to shoot 10-12 arrows at least every other day during the season. Most of my shooting is at 30-40 yds to make the closer shots feel easy when the time comes.

Catman, a suggestion would be to forgo a trip to your stand and use the gas money you save on not taking the trip to buy 2-3 arrows. Set them up with field points, and if you are getting good, consistent broadhead flight, don't worry about shooting the broadheads any more. Keep them sharp and ready to go.

Four to five sets of shooting those three practice arrows should have you ready to go when you get your next chance.

IMO, not practicing once the season starts is one of the biggest mistakes a bowhunter can make.

Latest posts