How much insulation to get in boots?

TNhuntin93

Im planning on buying a new pair of boots for next season. I know I want rubber boots and I like the Lacrosse Alpha series, mainly the burlys. My question is, how many grams of insulation should I get in them so I can wear them all the way through the season? I would love to have 1000 grams in the cold of winter but Im not gonna want that much in September.

What would yall suggest

T-Bone

I have the 800's and they are fine for cold weather with a good pair of socks. I am getting a pair of the uninsulated alpha's for the rest of the time. The 800's are all I had this year and unless it's pretty chilly your feet will sweat. I have hunted some pretty cold mornings with the 800's and never froze but at times they sure were not toasty warm.

TNhuntin93

Thanks for the reply T, maybe they wouldnt be so hot with a pair of regular cotton tube socks, Im not sure though.

FULLDRAWXX75

TNhuntin93 said:
Im planning on buying a new pair of boots for next season. I know I want rubber boots and I like the Lacrosse Alpha series, mainly the burlys. My question is, how many grams of insulation should I get in them so I can wear them all the way through the season? I would love to have 1000 grams in the cold of winter but Im not gonna want that much in September.

What would yall suggest

I am not really sure you will ever find an "all seasons" boot. I actually have three different pairs for the varying temp. ranges I run into here in NY. One pair unisulated rubber for early ML & archery season, rubber insulated & full insulated pack boots for when the temps. drop and the snow flies.

Sweaty feet are the enemy..................good layering of socks is the best starting place, then the proper boot.

FDXX75

Baxter83

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

Check out these Mucks. I got a pair of them for Christmas and only wore them on 5 or 6 hunting trips, but I never once had cold feet. I even got to cross a creek where I usually have to go around and my feet stayed dry. They say they're comfortable for cold and warm weather. I haven't worn them out in warm weather yet so I can't tell you that. You can read some of the reviews as well.

They also have the same pair in camo for around $120 I think.

cbcs1987

When it was 7 degrees in fentress this year I was wearing 1000 gram rockys with thin rocky socks...dont even know if they had any special kind of linin in them and i stayed warm. 1000 should be plenty for tennessee weather.

TNhuntin93

I appreciate all the replies folks, thank you.
Baxter - thats a pretty good lookin price, its about what Im thinking Ill have to spend.

gil1

I figure it this way. You really don't want heavy, sweaty boots in turkey season anyway. You need something breathable and light but still sturdy so you can walk the miles. For me, waterproof is key because you way well be fording streams with all that walking. Use that pair during deer bow season and whenever it's warm. Get a separate pair of more insulated boots for the latter part of deer deason.

I wear Woody Max's almost all the time, but they get hot in early deer bow season and slightly chilly on days like today when it's 17 degrees. They're great for 95% of the time, though.

cbcs1987

gil1 said:
I figure it this way. You really don't want heavy, sweaty boots in turkey season anyway. You need something breathable and light but still sturdy so you can walk the miles. For me, waterproof is key because you way well be fording streams with all that walking. Use that pair during deer bow season and whenever it's warm. Get a separate pair of more insulated boots for the latter part of deer deason.

I wear Woody Max's almost all the time, but they get hot in early deer bow season and slightly chilly on days like today when it's 17 degrees. They're great for 95% of the time, though.

Thats just what I did this year. I finally got a pair of light barely insulated boots for turkey,pig,and bow seasons. I can't stand the thought of huntin in spring time with 1000 gram boots

TNhuntin93

Well I may just buy 2 pairs then, cause I will be turkey hunting in them as mentioned.
Those Mucks look like a pretty nice boot.

Gravey

I've worn Rocky snake boots during archery season and turkey season and Rocky Cornstalkers with 800 grams Thinsulate. Still have both but this year bought a pair of Muck Woody Max and Lacrosse Alpha Sports. The Mucks are $130 at BPS, Cabelas, and everywhere else I've seen them. Luckily I have a friend in Rhea county that knew of a little co-op type place and I waited until I hunted there with him and bought them for $90-something. BPS had the Lacrosse Alpha Sports marked down from $119 to $59 so I bought them too. They have a 3.5 mm felt liner and kept me warm down around 50 or so. Below that I put on the Mucks.

Mike Belt

You'll not find a one pair of does it all boots. You may need to invest in more than one pair. Something else you might want to check out irregardless of how many pair you have is a boot dryer. It doesn't take but one day of walking around in any boot to sweat and get the inside of the boot wet. They aren't very comfortable the next morning especially if it's cold outside. A simple boot dryer can be bought for $35-$40 and your sweaty,wet boots will be warm and dry overnight.

J.Maples

No matter what rubber boot you choose, I would not wear ANY cotton sock as they stay wet from sweat and freeze your feet.
I always wear the highest grade of pure wool I can find, even wet
they warm your feet and will wick out faster.

BZ911

I own the woody max muck boots and the lacrosse aplha burly. I only us my muck boot in late season. my feet never ever gets cold. I use the toastie toes warmer in extreme weather with my muck boot and wool socks..the mucks are way to hot for early season...

Latest posts