Boot insulation

HottyToddy

What weight boot insulation do y'all run for cold weather days? Coming from south Florida, I'm worried my feet are going to freeze. Eyeing some 800g but wanted to get some input first.

Andy S.

Dry feet (or as dry as possible) once on stand is as important, or more, than a lot of insulation, once stationary for 4+ hours in sub-freezing temps. I've been wearing 3.5mm neoprene insulation Aerohead Sport knee boots with quality liner and hunting socks last two seasons and been satisfied. Lacrosse makes a thicker insulation boot (7mm) Aerohead if you care to consider them. I am good down to 28-32 degrees for 4-6 hours on stand. If the lows get down to 20 degrees (rarely, but it happens in December), I'll throw in a toe warmer once I am at the stand. Lacrosse Aerohead Sport

HottyToddy

I know the boot covers work, but for this year at least I'm gonna be hunting exclusively off the ground so I don't want them on my feet. Just don't have the money right now to get a couple of stands. I think this means I'll be able to get away with slightly less insulation because I'll probably be a little bit more active. 600g might be the ticket

1 good shot

Use foot powder or spray your feet with antiperspirant before you ever put your boot on. Moisture is going to be the biggest problem.
I have even heard of guys putting cotton balls between their toes. Carrying a extra pair of socks when you have to walk a long ways is always a good thing

BSK

I know the boot covers work, but for this year at least I'm gonna be hunting exclusively off the ground so I don't want them on my feet. Just don't have the money right now to get a couple of stands. I think this means I'll be able to get away with slightly less insulation because I'll probably be a little bit more active. 600g might be the ticket
Being more active, you can probably get away with 600 gram. As I get older, the circulation in my feet is not as good as when I was young, and my toes get cold if the temp drops into the mid 20s even with 1,200 gram boots. For stand hunting, I'm going to get a pair of boot blankets this year.

RobDooley

Use foot powder or spray your feet with antiperspirant before you ever put your boot on. Moisture is going to be the biggest problem.
I have even heard of guys putting cotton balls between their toes. Carrying a extra pair of socks when you have to walk a long ways is always a good thing
great advice. my feet sweat. I carry an extra pair of socks if I have a long walk on very cold days and wear a poly-liner to help absorb sweat.

david k.

And, at least in my experience, hunting on the ground will help keep your feet warmer....maybe its just me but the cold from the metal platform on my stands seems to go right through my boots....I started carrying a thin piece of foam to put under my feet when its really cold and that seems to help....could all be in my mind though??

tellico4x4

Silk liners & quality wool socks with uninsulated Danner Pronghorns get me thru 75% of season. For really cold mornings I wear a pair of Schnees rubber bottom/leather uppers with liner & same socks as above. Do have boot blankets that I bought years ago for Midwest but rarely need in Tn.

Omega

In the past, I never had issues with my feet, now that age is catching up. This year I will be hunting a ladder stand a few times so won't (maybe) be able to use my buddy heater. I hate wearing real thick boots, I just find them uncomfortable walking around, so I went with these boot insulators, hope they work well.
ArcticShield Men's Boot Insulator

iu

BSK

In the past, I never had issues with my feet, now that age is catching up. This year I will be hunting a ladder stand a few times so won't (maybe) be able to use my buddy heater. I hate wearing real thick boots, I just find them uncomfortable walking around, so I went with these boot insulators, hope they work well.
ArcticShield Men's Boot Insulator

iu
Bought a pair of those for my daughter last year. Buying a pair for myself this year. Just make sure to get a size larger than indicated or it's hard to get them on in the stand.

Jack Reed

What weight boot insulation do y'all run for cold weather days? Coming from south Florida, I'm worried my feet are going to freeze. Eyeing some 800g but wanted to get some input first.
Attic pro muck boots and a good pair of socks. If my feet get cold I'm coming out of the woods. These boots are Awesome

Longbow2240

I just wear my Lacrosse Alpha Burlys & First Lite merino wool socks. On cold days I'll slide a pair of thick socks (ones from Walmart) over the toe of boots and stick a hand warmer inside those when sitting in stand or on ground. Best solution I've came up with in 35 years of hunting.

Latest posts