Hot ITALIAN

Forvols

....Hot Italian sausage that is.

I started with 17lb of medium course ground pork butt. 12lbs of med. course ground pork I used to make hot Italian sausage ended up with about 50 links(I think). First time using natural casings, had one blow out, got some air pockets and over/under stuffed in spots but not to bad. Used a manual 11lb Weston stuffer and 20mm stuffing tube. I also took 5lbs and ground it again with a fine grind plate on the grinder and made 5lb of breakfast sausage with a good amount of sage and red pepper. Mixed up 1lb of each and fried up a portion for taste test before mixing the whole batch, had to add more red pepper to breakfast sausage, the Italian was great. Put it all in the fridge to rest/bloom over night will vac seal today

Forvols

Actually ended up with 43 links and 1lb of bulk IT sausage. Links are not as fat as it looks in the picture. Having the 3 odd ones for dinner
with spaghetti, salad and bread. Think I will try BRATS next.

Attachments

• vac sealed.jpg
    vac sealed.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,467

Forvols

And end result grilled hot Italian sausage (I did fry 3 in the skillet last night -- great). This mix has great flavor and a good heat. Flavor is consistent on first bite, heat comes on about half way through a link but never gets to hot (for me any way). Firm texture, very little grease, consistent flavor and heat, good snap on the casing, not dry, and I know exactly what is in this sausage (same with the breakfast sausage). Really happy with the way these turned out. No more store bought for me.

Latest posts