Hinge shooting tips

TNDeerGuy

Before I go further, I am a noob at hinge shooting--this is the first time I'm really committed to it. I have tried it twice before years ago, but was never even 50% committed to it, nor did I fully trust it and I believe both reasons worked against each other and fed each other and was the reason behind my failure. What I am going to share is from my personal experience and from what I've learned from many people I've talked to. Hopefully others with more experience shooting a hinge will chime in.

What helped me more than anything was shooting a "trainer" for 6 months before I ever even hooked into a bow. It helped me get used to the feel and operation of the hinge and what I could and couldn't do during the shot process and I still play with it all the time--it helps a ton from my experience. A picture of my trainer is attached. I chose a piece of rope because with the style of bow I shoot a rope simulates the feel of the backwall I'm used to. If I was shooting a bow that had a soft backwall, I would use a bungee cord to give you that spongy feel.

Once I decided to go live with it in mid-Dec, I did all of my shooting at 3yds in front of a bag. Even though I used a trainer, it was different on a bow--not dramatically different, but still different. I stayed at 3yds for a week or so and then moved back to 10yds. I really wasn't focused as much on aiming as I was executing a clean shot. A few weeks ago, I moved back to 20yds and further as I was confident in my ability. I still am focusing more on shot execution than hitting a quarter at 30yds but I'm confident enough to be competitive and at least have fun. :)

As far as execution, for me I anchor between the space in between my 1st and 2nd knuckles into my jawbone and hold the release at 45° angle and I shoot a 3-finger release because I'm worried about my pinky getting into it if I shoot a 4-finger. I don't believe there is a difference between the two, other than just personal preference. Now comes the tricky and highly debateable part--pulling, relaxing or rotating to execute the shot. I've spoken and recieved advice from people that do each of them and some that do a combination of both. It seems that people that have a little give in their backwall have an easier time pulling, while people that have solid backwalls incorporate a little relaxing in order to execute the shot and then you have the rotaters. I have tried all three and found my shots a cleanest when I relax and pull slightly(70% relaxing/30% pulling if I had to guess). When I rotate to execute the shot, I found that there is tension in my shot and it's not that clean. There are several World Champions that have publicly admitted that they command-fire their hinges by rotation. My recommendation is to find a method that is comfortable for you, as there are obvious multiple ways to shoot them.

Use a click or not use a click? Set it hot or set it cold? Personal preference on both in my opinion. I chose to use a click at first at a safety measure, but it is now part of my shot routine: I draw, come to anchor and then it clicks right after my anchor is set and I start aiming--it's a fast click but it will be understood after this next part is explained because they are connected. When I was practicing for that 6 month period, it was set pretty hot. I did this to get used to pulling correctly and not having to force the shot by rotating the release. Having it set on the hot side, also made it easier to relax and make the shot go off. The colder it is, the further the hinge has to rotate to fire. When I first went live with it, I moved it to the cold side--I had to rotate the release manually because I couldn't relax enough or pull hard enough to make it fire. I gradually adjusted it hotter as time went on and I gained confidence in it. It is now set really hot, hence the click occuring as soon as I get to anchor, as mentioned earlier. With it set hot like it is, it takes very little movement/rotation to get the shot off and I can easily relax/pull into the shot. The only thing is if you get it too hot, hand movement during the draw cycle can send an oops arrow downrange, so a balance has to be met.

I can already tell a difference in my shooting from making the switch because I can hold on the target better, there isn't as much tension in my form/shots and my major misses/shanks are fewer and far between. The main thing I will recommend, from my admitted inexperience to it, is try to become very familiar with it before you go live with it and once you make the switch, put every other release up and commit to it 100%. It is going to be a slow learning process but I know in the end, ill be better for it.

I hope some others chime in with what you do, have done and what has helped, or not, so we can all help each other.

bowhunter163

I will try to post my past journey with the hinge sometime soon . Other than that , congrats on fully joining the dark side . Lol are you going to hunt with it ?

TNDeerGuy

bowhunter163":15p89exf said:
I will try to post my past journey with the hinge sometime soon . Other than that , congrats on fully joining the dark side . Lol are you going to hunt with it ?

There you are! I was hoping you would chime in. I actually went with it the last weekend because I knew I wasn't going to have a shot past 15yds were I was hinting and was confident enough, but honestly I had the JustX in my pouch as well. We'll never know which one I would have pulled out, but my intention was to use it. I'm planning on it right now, but there is alot of time between now and September. LOL

UTGrad

Love shooting my Longhorn. I don't use a click and set it cold. I did use a click the first couple years but took it out. I wont ever hunt with my hinge. It takes a few seconds for it to go off and I don't cheat with it to make it fire any quicker. I'd hate to try to time the shot on a live animal. I shoot a Scott Exxus for hunting.

PillsburyDoughboy

infoman jr.

I have a Truball Inside Out and Scott Longhorn 4. I got them only to practice and make myself hold on the target. I had a bad habit of floating below it, and practicing with the hinges has helped a lot. I like the function of the Inside Out better, but I don't use it as often because it doesn't fit my hand well. I really need a large instead of a medium. I use a click on mine.

If you feel like your grip is slipping during the draw, don't grab it. :shock:

Pinwheeled

I am basically in the same boat as you. I've dabbled a few times but never went all in with it. I would always have stretches where I shot fantastic. Then I would start thinking about it and fall to pieces. I really just need to shoot it more.

I have mine set up with the click and fairly cold. I pull back with my thumb on the post. When I get to full draw, I take thumb off and rotate til I hear the click. Then, it's just aim, pull, aim, pull, aim, pull til the shot breaks. If I'm having a good day with it, my float steadies up as I pull harder right before the shot breaks without thinking about it. On bad days, I pull and pull until I have to conscientiously transfer pressure to my ring and pinky finger and it all goes to heck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gobblinfool

I use both the "Backspin" and the "Inside out", but mostly the backspin. I hold my hand flat/parallel to the ground. I draw, anchor, relax my release hand....then squeeze my rhomboids.....and most importantly stare at what I want to hit and allow my follow thru to be natural vs forced....if I execute the shoot properly, I see the arrow strike thru my sight.

When I am truly at my best, I simply focus on the target (Conscious thought) and allow my subconscious thought to execute the release movement.

gobblinfool

I meant to post that I learned this from reading the book "Core Archery" by Larry Wise. He breaks down step by step how to execute the shot. You don't have to use a hinge to execute back tension....you can use a thumb barrel or even a trigger.

UTGrad

gobblinfool":10zxgdts said:
I meant to post that I learned this from reading the book "Core Archery" by Larry Wise. He breaks down step by step how to execute the shot. You don't have to use a hinge to execute back tension....you can use a thumb barrel or even a trigger.

Love that book...my copy is well worn.

gobblinfool

Larry is an amazing guy, called him out of the blue a year ago....answered my questions.

I shoot without the click, why, because my focus gets distracted by the click.....but everyone is different

Once I get anchored.....relax the hand....the backspin feature makes this easy, then squeeze rhomboids......in larry's book he talks about trying to squeeze a dollar bill between my shoulder blades

Crow Terminator

My biggest tip is to find one that fits you and stick with it. I am guilty of wanting to try the new releases when they come out. I always end up coming back to my old tried and true Carter Colby 2. I actually have two of them now; one set at what I consider to be my favorite speed setting and the other is set one click hotter. I find that 9 times out of 10, I will shoot best with my favorite setting/speed release. But if I am shooting for money and or nerves have got me, I tend to want to overaim and freeze up. That's when I go to the other release until I settle down.

I recently went to try a 6x lens in my scope and have found myself overaiming with it. I can see too much target detail with it and the magnification is just enough that I can start to see more movement than what I like, and so I hold and hold and hold and hold and hold some more. I'm probably going to end up going back down to a 4x.

PillsburyDoughboy

Crow Terminator":2majt9dp said:
My biggest tip is to find one that fits you and stick with it. I am guilty of wanting to try the new releases when they come out. I always end up coming back to my old tried and true Carter Colby 2. I actually have two of them now; one set at what I consider to be my favorite speed setting and the other is set one click hotter. I find that 9 times out of 10, I will shoot best with my favorite setting/speed release. But if I am shooting for money and or nerves have got me, I tend to want to overaim and freeze up. That's when I go to the other release until I settle down.

I recently went to try a 6x lens in my scope and have found myself overaiming with it. I can see too much target detail with it and the magnification is just enough that I can start to see more movement than what I like, and so I hold and hold and hold and hold and hold some more. I'm probably going to end up going back down to a 4x.

This is actually very good advice .

I have been using the same release for 25 years . While I know there are better releases out there and technology has much improved I am comfortable with what I have and do well with what I have . EVERYTIME I have tried to transition to a different release I find the learning curve and adjustment less than desirable for the results I want to ultimately achieve .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNDeerGuy

UTGrad":2lz24tl5 said:
gobblinfool":2lz24tl5 said:

Love that book...my copy is well worn.

I want to thank you guys. I picked up a copy on amazon a few days ago and it's an amazing book that has excellent tips and demonstration on everything to do with the shot process and mechanics, not just hinge shooting, but it doesn't talk over your head--my 7 year old read it and understood and he is new to archery. Even a seasoned archer can learn a couple of things. Highly recommend this book!

huntforme7909

they take a whole lot of concentration....I have never been able or made myself practice enough with one to get even a little bit comfortable...

Toxophilite Phil

Another good book to use is Bernie Pellerite "IdiotProof Archery. My advice is to read them both and use which advice works for you. Both men are quite knowledgeable on the x's and o's of shooting back tension. Years ago HHA made a release called a PanicMaster. You could fire it 3 different ways. But the way that taught me to use back tension was to take the triggers off the barrel. You then could hold the barrel and pull with your rhomboids. the barrel slid down and hit the housing for the trigger to set it off. That was back in the earky 1990's. I haven't shot a trigger release in that long. No matter what I pick up I automatically pull with my back. As far as hunting I have used all kinds, Carter, Stan, TruBall and my favorite....Scott Ole Faithful with a Bernie Can't Punch trigger.

Latest posts