Just bought a hinge. WOW!

cozy23

Since our second child was born and I have been stuck at the house more I have started really trying to get better at archery. I got me a new longer stabilizer, a used 3 pin CBE slider sight, and a Tru Ball Sweet Spot hinge release. I can't say I really notice a difference with the new stabilizer. The new sight pins are smaller which I like. I haven't bothered with sighting it in yet as I want to perfect my form first. But since I got this hinge release yesterday my groups have shrunk WAY down. I'm expecting to Robin hood one every time I walk up to my target. I haven't yet but it's gonna happen. I can feel it. It seems crazy that a release can do so much but they really do. I guess it's just showing me how bad I was anticipating the shot with my strap and thumb releases. I am very happy I made the investment.

What kind of release so you shoot? Have you tried all kinds?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TNDeerGuy

I shoot a Scott Longhorn Pro Advantage and love it--it has drastically improved my shooting as well. I very highly recommend you buy and read the book Core Archery by Larry Wise--it's a quick and very informational read and focuses on back tension. Although, I relax into the shot to make it fire, I can't pull as he recommends due to shooting a limb-stop bow, there are many aspects of it that can still be applied. I've shot several different ones: Stan Morex, TruBall Ht, TruBall HBX, Scott Longhorn to name a few but I like my ProAdvantage the best because it rotates so easily. I really want to get my hands on a Scott Halo and try that one.

cozy23

I was about to buy a Longhorn on AT but the guy suggested the sweet spot for me as I am new to them.

It forces me to keep my pin in the center longer and follow through because it's a surprise every time it fires. I love it.

TNDeerGuy

Cool deal. Yes it forces you to hold on the target, while taking your mind off of firing the arrow. That's another advantage of target shooting: you have your choice of new releases to try, as most people are very open to letting each other try releases. I haven't been shooting it but just about 4 months now, but I've been practicing with it for almost a year now. What kind of bow are you shooting and what method to fire it are you using--pulling, rotating or relaxing?

cozy23

I'm eventually wanting to shoot some 3d down there with you guys.
I've got a Hoyt Vector Turbo. I'm mainly rotating but am trying to experiment with pulling with my back too.

TNDeerGuy

I'm no expert on the matter, but I've learned alot in a short manner of time. The thing about hinge shooting is using what is comfortable for you! There is no right or wrong way to use one, contrary to what the armchair pros on AT will tell you. Rotating is fine, many do it, but I would also try relaxing into it as well. To do this, come to anchor and then relax your index finger thru the shot--it is a total surprise that way and you aren't really inducing any tension into the shot--I've discovered this is the most common "real world" way people are firing them. If you're going to try back tension, the only muscle you will use to activate the release is the upper rhomboid--for years I thought it was the entire back (rhomboids, deltoids and Lat), this is explained beautifully in Core Archery. When you activate and isolate the rhomboid, you force the shoulder and arm to move in a rear parallel motion which forces the hinge to rotate and fire. The problem with that is, especially on firm backwall bows, is that you have a tendency to pull against the bow because of the movement which causes left and right misses.

That being said, find a way you like best, but try all three and if you need any help just ask since we live reasonably close.

cozy23

I appreciate it TNDEERguy. You actually helped me tune my old bow a couple years ago at your house.

It's hard to really see how they work in videos. When the hinge of the release reaches a certain point (or angle)it fires. So I draw back with using predominately my pointer finger (and thumb). When I get to my anchor point I start pulling with my middle and ring finger which rotates the release until it reaches the breaking point and fires. So instead of punching a trigger as soon as my pin crosses the bullseye I am able to concentrate on keeping my pin on the bull longer while I'm "waiting" on the release to fire. It also helps with the follow through because I'm not expecting it to fire.

gobblinfool

There are two thoughts with that hinge, yes you can rotate and be very successful.....but the key is having your bow set up the right way....so that you are engaging your bones to hold the bow instead of your muscles (shaky). If you hold steadier...then it makes it easier to "rotate" the release. If you feel like you are pulling...but nothing is happening, there is a good chance that your index finger has a death grip on the release and therefore won't allow the release to "rotate".

infoman jr.

I have a Scott Longhorn 4 finger, TruBall Inside Out 3 finger, and TruBall Boss X. I probably like the Longhorn the best. They are great for practice (I don't compete).

cozy23

I think I'll keep the sweet spot for a while but I can see the benefit of one with a "click".

Latest posts