Thinking of buying a new bow

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
All I am 69 years old, average strength and still hunt from a climbing stand. I have been using a Bear Whitetail Hunter II I owned since 1986 and am wanting a new, last one for me, bow.
Here is my question: Are crossbows okay for hunting in a tree stand. I wonder if there are many problems loading & reloading them in a tree stand?

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Crossbows will work just fine. Some brands/models come with an actual crank mounted on the stock. I would suggest that opposed to using a foot stirrup and cocking rope while on stand. They do weigh a little more than a vertical compound to expect that if you are doing any major walking distances.
I personally have only used the TenPoint brand and have been very pleased. However, if you do decided the Xbow route go shoot as many as you can at a bow shop or box store and get the one that shoulders and feels the best to you. Good Luck with your decisions.

CHRIS WILSON

As already mentioned, crossbows will work just fine out of a tree stand. There are several models on the market now that are extremely compact and should handle very well in a stand. Cocking using a cocking rope and stirrup method can be done in a stand....I've done it without issue....but using a crank system will definitely add a better margin of safety. Good luck in your search.

Mr.Bro

I use a rope cocker and chocolate chip cookie my Mission Sub 1 Lite before climbing and decock after I cone down. Use a rope to pull it up and lower it.
Nothing more comforting than shooting in a tree. If set right you don't have to stand to shoot.

Latest posts