Hi mountain summer sausage kit

Daniel90

I'm gonna try to make some summer sausage with hi mountain original kit. Any suggestions for a newby? Should I add any extra spices ? Should I go straight deer? 50/50 with some pork or beef?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.7strokin

The first summer sausage I ever made, years ago, was the high mountain brand. I bought the kit from academy. I was less than impressed with it. In fact it was bad enough I couldn't eat much of it and actually threw most of it out this year after it sat in the freezer for several years. I did about 10 pounds of it. It was before I bought my electric smoker so I cooked it in the oven. That could have been the issue as the smoke flavor really makes it good. Maybe I got a bad batch of seasoning who knows, and they may have changed the mix by now. My suggestion would be to fill one casing and cook/smoke it to see if it turns out the way you want it. That way if you have a bad experience like I did you don't have a bunch of wasted meat. I mix my summer sausage with 70 percent deer and 30 percent pork fat. My favorite seasoning for summer sausage is LEM brand Trail Bologna. It is summer sausage seasoning with slightly more spice. Sometimes I add diced jalapenos to it without the seeds. You can also mix in regular course grated cheddar if you want. You don't have to use the over priced high temp cheddar as long as you don't over cook it. I get the internal temp up to about 160 give or take in an electric smoker.

Forvols

WTM":3r9nkvf9 said:
forvols used that kit the first time he made some then started buying his own seasonings and liked it better. here is one of the threads he chimed in on using hi mountain.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=352896&p=4541775&hilit=+summer+sausage#p4541775

another thread with meat/fat ratios:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=369010&p=4687925&hilit=+summer+sausage#p4687925

Yes I liked the Hi mountain SS kits pretty good. I did add more of the seasoning and mustard seed and red pepper flakes or restaurant grind black pepper. Recommend you mix up 1lb of meat and seasoning and cure. Then do a test fry patty then you can evaluate the flavor to see if you want to add more seasoning or additional seasonings. Then adjust your seasoning amount for the rest of your bigger batch, But DO NOT add more cure because you added more seasoning or water. The package recommended amount of cure per pound of meat(before mixing in seasoning and water or cheese etc) is all that is required. This worked for me when doing 5lb+ to get the flavors, spice level I wanted. Just add the 1lb test mix back to your larger batch when ready to mix it.

Daniel90

Thanks guys !!! Gonna mix some up over weekend since it's gonna be a little warm for my liking to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts