Head shots..

Stingray

Who all here are confident enough in their ability to shoot deer in the head to keep from ruining meat? I know several marksmen that do this out to about 200 yards with great success.

C1295

I could never head shot one.... No matter how comfortable I am with that rifle it just takes a split second of movement to change everything. I won't take unless I am 90% comfortable with it. Wounding a deer is the worst feeling.... and If your okay with wounding them and don't worry about it, you should probably just not hunt. Its still a leaving creature and wouldn't want and anything to suffer.

Doecrusher

I know your talking with a gun... But I had a buddy that was pretty good shot with a bow and taken a doe with a headshot... We weren't sitting to far from each other maybe 120yds or so... He said he dropped her so I told him to come meet me... It was dark and when we started heading back to the deer I was like dude is that a deer looking at us thru our head lights... Sure enough that deer hopped back up and was running circles with 8" of the arrow and head poking out... We chased that thing around and around til she got caught in some trees thankfully before we got another arrow in the vitals.. no way I'd try it...

Spurhunter

A buddy of mine put a deer down years ago that was starving to death because his bottom jaw had been shot off. The deer was literally skin and bones. Anyone that takes headshots on deer should be banned from hunting for life and shunned by decent people everywhere. There is absolutely no reason to do something so utterly stupid and unethical. Ruining meat? Please.

Pilchard

A buddy of mine put a deer down years ago that was starving to death because his bottom jaw had been shot off. The deer was literally skin and bones. Anyone that takes headshots on deer should be banned from hunting for life and shunned by decent people everywhere. There is absolutely no reason to do something so utterly stupid and unethical. Ruining meat? Please.
I don't necessarily disagree with what you say and would never advocate for headshots on deer.

But at the same time, I have killed countless pigs with a 22mag by shooting them in the ear.

Perhaps we value the critter's lives differently.

WTNBowHunter

Don't see any reason to shoot one in the head for any reason. The amount of meat lost from an errant heart or lung that hits a shoulder is probably nothing. In theory it sounds like a win but practically you're likely not losing any meat.