2 longest shots to date, a big 6, and a good pass yesterday

DeerCamp

Last weekend was eventful. Hunting a property in Madison County, and I was told by my wife "we need a doe".

Went out to a trusty doe spot, and 10 minutes into the hunt, they show up, but not in the cove I expected. On thus property I hunt from the ground on a berm in the middle of a big field.

Rangefinder said 608 yards. 83" of drop at that distance. I adjusted the turret, layed out across the berm and let the 6.5 bark. Funny at that distance, there's plenty of time to get back on and see the bullet hit. I watched her kick and scramble to the woods.

Below is where I shot her. If you zoom in you can see my explorer in the distance. That little berm to the left is where I like to sit. It's out in the open, but the deer never see me.

20221217_154736.jpg

20221217_154744.jpg

The next afternoon ventured out to a new property in Southern Madison Cty. Set up on a hillside overlooking a valley of sorts.

6728.jpeg

Hadn't been there 5 min when a little buck came out. Ranged him at 476.
20221218_152506.jpg

About 10 min before dark, a doe comes out in the same spot and kept looking back towards the woods while feeding. It was getting hard to see my turrets, so I went ahead and doped the 33 clicks. Figured I could get back to zero pretty quick if needed. Sure enough, 5 minutes later, out steps a wide 6pt. Even in the low light he was obviously a shooter. I settled over the bipod and squeezed. I saw him go down instantly. My bullet had drifted from the wind, but he was dead. Wish my buddy had taken this one, as he's never killed a buck and he introduced me to this property. What can you do.

20221218_173336.jpg

Didn't hunt at all last week, but ventured out yesterday to my blind in North Madison Cty. It was pretty damn cold, but the deer were moving. Saw 2 different bucks including this one, both chasing. Sent a couple pics to TXmag300 who confirmed that it was a good pass. I still was watching him when he replied back. Deer will be great next year if he makes it.

20221224_162351.jpg

20221224_162348.jpg

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Congratulations on your excellent shooting abilities :)

By no means to be taken as any kind of criticism,
rather just a question to ponder . . . . . .

At what point do our adventures become more about shooting than hunting,
regardless what we call them?

And, I've personally killed many deer at my maximum abilities of high probability.

Just noting when I'm taking a deer at very close range (regardless of weapon),
the situation seems very much totally hunting,
while at extreme long range, seems almost totally shooting.

Hoping to go shooting this afternoon, need a doe ;)

redblood

Congratulations on your excellent shooting abilities :)

By no means to be taken as any kind of criticism,
rather just a question to ponder . . . . . .

At what point do our adventures become more about shooting than hunting,
regardless what we call them?

And, I've personally killed many deer at my maximum abilities of high probability.

Just noting when I'm taking a deer at very close range (regardless of weapon),
the situation seems very much totally hunting,
while at extreme long range, seems almost totally shooting.

Hoping to go shooting this afternoon, need a doe ;)
Good question. I used to like the idea of shooting far away. I could shoot deer from my upstairs in my corn field up to 600 yards every day at dark. But now im pretty much bow. Deer are big targets an easy to hit with a gun so for me, it being able to get close and be pretty much silent. But either way thats a neat big and he looks mature