Head shots..

Pilchard

Good point. How far were these ear shots?
Generally inside of 50yds.

Again, I'm not advocating for headshots on deer. I think it's a very bad idea. But I also have to look in the mirror and realize that when it was a critter that people just wanted dead, it was perfectly acceptable by most every hunter.

Pilchard

How far were you from said pigs? What happened if you miss your mark, on the pig in a pen? That's probably the biggest issue here. You screw up on a deer and it runs off and you probably won't catch up to it end the misery.
I answered this in a different post but these were not captive shots. Free ranging pigs in the swamps, orange groves and pepper patches on south Florida.

Jcalder

I answered this in a different post but these were not captive shots. Free ranging pigs in the swamps, orange groves and pepper patches on south Florida.
Generally inside of 50yds.

Again, I'm not advocating for headshots on deer. I think it's a very bad idea. But I also have to look in the mirror and realize that when it was a critter that people just wanted dead, it was perfectly acceptable by most every hunter.
Fair enough

Urban_Hunter

If you ever make a bad head shot and have any heart you won't don't again. I got the shirt and I won't take one again . Blew the bottom jaw off a doe once because she moved just as I shot @ 10 feet . 😭
Yep. Same for me. Young and dumb. I killed 7-8 does with no problem. Bang flops. Finally had one about 25-30yds and she turned as I shot. I had a few seconds to fix the problem but was shocked about what just happened and what I was seeing. She backed up where I had no shot and was then gone. Never again.

Omega

Neck shots for me the past few years, all inside 100 yards, on calm deer. Never aimed for the head, not that I couldn't hit it, just didn't see the need.

Flintlocksforme

On purpose ??
Well actually no, I just saw the post and had killed the deer yesterday on CWD land. It was very thick around him, he was facing me and not an ideal shot, looked better than it probably was. The bullet probably deflected off brush and miraculously centered both eyes. When I saw the thread and posted it because it looks terrible I knew it would be interesting and controversial, But head shot people like that stuff I guess. I prefer lungs, heart myself. It was a lucky shot

Snake

Well actually no, I just saw the post and had killed the deer yesterday on CWD land. It was very thick around him, he was facing me and not an ideal shot, looked better than it probably was. The bullet probably deflected off brush and miraculously centered both eyes. When I saw the thread and posted it because it looks terrible I knew it would be interesting and controversial, But head shot people like that stuff I guess. I prefer lungs, heart myself. It was a lucky shot
Congrats on the buck , we all.make questionable shots .

mike243

I have shot 3, all really were not on purpose, first was my first muzzle loader deer, open sights H&R 45cal, aimed at white spot on chest as he was facing me at 50-60y, when the smoke cleared he was flopping around, about the time I got reloaded he quit, rolled him over to gut and didn't see the bullet hole, the bullet went into the nostril and straight to the brain, cut every little bone in the roof of the mouth, no meat lose, 2nd was another muzzle loader deer, 2 ran in on top of me and 1 fell as I tried to get turned, they ran i made a noise and 1 stopped and turned head around to look back, the only shot was a Texas heart or the head, perfect hit, took the whole top of head along with brains and buttons with it, it happened so quick I really didn't have time to think just react, last 1 I heart shot and as it ran past me I put it on the nose, in through the ear out through the eye, again no idea why, I have passed up a lot of shots since those and no plans to ever do it again but dang instincts take over sometimes, Crappieluck asked me why I took a axe to the button bucks head, told him I didn't showed him the 1/2 of a 50 cal powerbelt hole , no other wound on him. looked to try to find top of head that was blown off but the pieces were so small I couldn't find any parts of the buttons. I reckon all the squirrel hunting I have done with a 22 has helped me be a decent shot but I wouldn't recommend a head shot if a neck shot is available.

Dennis

I once shot a doe in the head with an arrow (and killed her instantly). I was aiming for her lungs. Have I ever mentioned I gave up bow-hunting because I'm a terrible shot with a bow?
You should try a crossbow if you haven't already.

timberjack86

I shot a doe accidentally in the head once. Knocked her down and started her way. She jumped up and started towards me. I had to step aside to get out of her way. I pulled the old 742 wood master up and pulled the trigger at about 3 feet. Hit her right in the side of the head with a 150grain 308. Nasty

Latest posts