Harvest pics

WTM

DaveB":38m25gps said:
Lucky my Wife isn't close.

Not kidding tomato's for breakfast.

Greenbeans kinda stir-fried in whats left from hot grilling chickee parts and pieces. Sounds awful, looks that way, tastes great.

Wife got a Doc report about her chloresterol and has been on a CAMPAIGN for a year now and no finish line in sight.

Wait till your Mrs. gets a doc report about a Calcium/vitamin D deficiency. Oh baby do things get ultra healthy quick.

i grew a row just for stir frying and to give away. put some up in the freezer, gave some to neighbor and the kids and inlaws didnt want any. i guess i have too big a garden, but i always go overboard and it keeps my mind busy.

anyhoo, ill keep you in mind next year. i have a son that lives in memphis and i could drop you off some stuff no problem, lol.

GMB54

A few today
bpNxlDS.jpg

And a closeup of my 2 MOA Bonnets for next years seed stock. These are delicious Scotch Bonnets if you like hot.
zta1GuY.jpg

zzHp9EY.jpg

DaveB

Okay, i got to ask this.

Is anyone hand pollinating their BIG tomato's. The ones you know are going to be large anyway.

I was told by a truck farmer when I asked how'd he get them so large: pollinate by hand

I tried this in California over at least 4 years. Some grew so large I used pantyhose feet to hold them up to the cage.

Most had no change.

I never figured it out.

WTM

DaveB":3biec20k said:
Okay, i got to ask this.

Is anyone hand pollinating their BIG tomato's. The ones you know are going to be large anyway.

I was told by a truck farmer when I asked how'd he get them so large: pollinate by hand

I tried this in California over at least 4 years. Some grew so large I used pantyhose feet to hold them up to the cage.

Most had no change.

I never figured it out.

the size of tomatoes are pretty much dependent on the variety. pollination pretty much gaurantees set fruit. ive never pollinated any by hand. i grew burpee early vh, jet star and better boy this year and they pretty much grew to their stated sizes with the better boys the larger of the bunch.

foodplot

DaveB":24s4umux said:
Okay, i got to ask this.

Most had no change.

I never figured it out.

No hand pollination just lots of horse manure!
We have a small 8'x8' greenhouse that we start our tomatoes in....we plant several varieties but i believe these are beefsteak???
I have had some pretty large tomatoes in the past with Brandywine and also mortgage lifter.....

Buck_West

The variety had a whole lot to do with size and proper care has a little as well. The only large tomatoes I had this year were beefmasters and my tomatoes that set first were mostly 1-2 lbs. Second set are around 10 oz. Have several new varieties to try next year.

Buck_West

the ones that appear pink are actually red beefmasters. Love any beefsteak style tomato for slicing.

Attachments

• 0711172150.jpg
    0711172150.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4,776
  • 0711172108.jpg
    0711172108.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 4,775

GOHUNT

My tomatoes went from this

To this

With a few added in others gave us. Each row is 6 quart jars deep. Mostly juice and maybe 2 dozen just canned tomatoes.

Attachments

• IMG_4409.JPG
    IMG_4409.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 4,766
  • IMG_4764.JPG
    IMG_4764.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 4,768

DaveB

Looks like a Super harvest Gohunt.

You know how after you've pulled off a basket of 'maters you go in the house and smell like a Tomato Plant? I love that smell.

GOHUNT

foodplot":rg0ecic0 said:
Wow!
Those will be good on a cold winter day......

Yep! Would you believe I don't even like tomatoes! She shares a LOT with her family. The best thing from homemade tomato juice is homemade tomato soup which I DO like a lot...and on a cold day...or in a cold box blind, can't be beat!

GOHUNT

Oh yeah, then here is the he corn, prolly bout 40-50 bags. This doesn't count the 100 or so ears we gave away. We were blessed with another good harvest.

Attachments

• IMG_4768.JPG
    IMG_4768.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,758

Buck_West

Had to test out a few sweet potato plants, biggest one so far out of 3 plants was a tad over 7lbs. Still got over a month to grow. Freezer is getting full with 2 rows of corn and 7 rows of beans still going. Have also sold 14 bushels of beans off my 100x40 garden. Been a very good year weather wise from May on.

Attachments

• 0808171946.jpg
    0808171946.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 4,757
  • 0808172044.jpg
    0808172044.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 4,753

Buzzard Breath

Pepper plants are really kicking out peppers. Tomato plants are giving me plenty for daily use.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get the habaneros and seronos starting to ferment separately. I've been wanting to use them to make some fermented hot sauce. It should be done by next summer. I've got some japaleno peppers fermenting already. I'll taste and mix as needed.

The hot banana peppers will be stuffed and grilled.

The single japaleno will be mixed in with my eggs in the morning.

f4f7c958fa64ee0f853f0254402eb4b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

foodplot

Buzzard Breath":2kowyp88 said:
Pepper plants are really kicking out peppers. Tomato plants are giving me plenty for daily use.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get the habaneros and seronos starting to ferment separately. I've been wanting to use them to make some fermented hot sauce. It should be done by next summer. I've got some japaleno peppers fermenting already. I'll taste and mix as needed.

The hot banana peppers will be stuffed and grilled.

The single japaleno will be mixed in with my eggs in the morning.

f4f7c958fa64ee0f853f0254402eb4b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tell me more about this fermentation process sounds interesting......

GMB54

A couple tips for lacto fermentation.

1)Use a cabbage leaf over the peppers to keep them submerged in the brine.
2)Make sure you use canning salt or at least a salt with no iodine or anti-caking agents added.
3)You can speed up fermentation a great deal by using a starter culture like juice from homemade kraut. You can buy starter cultures such as Caldwells but they are expensive. Farm House Cultures sells a drink product called Gut Shot for about $5 a bottle. You only need a couple tablespoons of it to jump start a fermentation.
4) Dont over do the salt. Too much salt will slow down fermentation.
5) Sterilize EVERYTHING with campden tablets or powder. You can get them at any brew shop. Make sure your bottles, jars, knives and utensils are all sterile before you begin.
6) Use bottled water, it dont need to be fancy just no chlorine. Boiled tap water will also work.

Now, by speed up im not talking about being ready sooner. Im talking about establishing a "good bacteria" environment faster so they will prevent bad bacteria. Bad bacteria and yeast don't like low oxygen or acidic environments. Lacto B and the other good bacteria don't need oxygen and thrive in low pH. As they eat sugar they produce CO2, acetic acid and lactic acid. So once they are well established about the only thing you might get is some kahm yeast on the surface. Its harmless but to the novice it appears to be mold.

A good fermenter is a worthwhile investment. I use a fermenter made for kimchi. You can find them at Asian markets or on Amazon. The most common brand is E-Jen. They have an inner lid that holds down the veggies and limits oxygen contact.
https://www.amazon.com/jen-Kimchi-Conta ... B00SWBJJQ0

Another option is the Easy Fermenter with lids, pump and weights. They fit any wide mouth Mason jar.
This one does not include the weights but those are easy to find or just use the cabbage leaf.
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fermenter-W ... B01DJVVORE

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts