New Garden Fence Pics

Specializedjon

Need some advice on my new garden fence before I cut them down. What is a good height to leave these posts to keep the critters out? I plan on installing chicken wire and a top and bottom board around the perimeter. Just don't want to cut them too short and wake up to the neighborhood eating our veggies. BTW...We're doing No-Till this year with newspaper, compost, mulch 🤞

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Garden Fence 2.jpg
    Garden Fence 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Garden Fence.jpg
    Garden Fence.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 91

JCDEERMAN

I'd say 6' is tall enough for the deer. We have too many moles in my yard to have an in-ground garden. I moved to a 90 sq foot raised-bed garden last year and had a huge yield! One thing I would get is a fake owl and put it up on top of one of those posts. It will keep a lot of the small critters out. Definitely kept the squirrels and chipmunks at bay. They have them at Tractor Supply. Best of luck!

Specializedjon

I'd say 6' is tall enough for the deer. We have too many moles in my yard to have an in-ground garden. I moved to a 90 sq foot raised-bed garden last year and had a huge yield! One thing I would get is a fake owl and put it up on top of one of those posts. It will keep a lot of the small critters out. Definitely kept the squirrels and chipmunks at bay. They have them at Tractor Supply. Best of luck!
10-4. Glad I asked. I was thinking 5'. I'll leave them at 6' like you suggested. We've got a fake owl "Oliver" that was on duty at our Franklin house last year when we had raised beds. It did do a nice job keeping the critters away.

Thanks brother.

Omega

Never had good results from fake owls, used them but the squirrels didn't care, until I shocked them. The 6' fence won't stop a deer if they want over, but a dual layer will, seems they don't like the 3d affect, not my pic but shows it real well and only 3', I have tried it and it works. I had this and chicken wire at the bottom of the outer fence to keep the rabbits out. Birds were my problem, but I never got around to putting netting over the garden.

iu

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
My brother, Bless his heart, fenced in his garden in Bethpage, TN six feet plus electric top and bottom worked well but eventually a long legged doe got in. Se didnt really do that much damage till he went to get her out and panic set in! LOL it only took about 3 to 5 minutes for him to walk past the garden, open the gate, enter and circle inside to get her out. LOLOLOL In that 3 to 5 she destroyed everything but the crab grass!!! lol. 🤣🤣🤣

Carlos

A few years ago I started putting 2 strands of wire, connected to a simple elec fence charger around ours. It keeps them out very well, and it's easy to take down in the fall.
If you don't have a power source close by, you could try a solar charger.

I never witnessed the critters getting bit by the elec fence, but I saw evidence of hasty retreats left in the dirt several times.
😀

mike52

Never had good results from fake owls, used them but the squirrels didn't care, until I shocked them. The 6' fence won't stop a deer if they want over, but a dual layer will, seems they don't like the 3d affect, not my pic but shows it real well and only 3', I have tried it and it works. I had this and chicken wire at the bottom of the outer fence to keep the rabbits out. Birds were my problem, but I never got around to putting netting over the garden.

iu
Talking about birds, I have had good success using fishing line. Looking at your fence post ( the tall ones) get some cheep mono 50 Lb test and run between post about even with top If you can get 4-6 post taller than you and crisscross fishing line. Will not keep all out but will work on most

bigtex

A few years ago I started putting 2 strands of wire, connected to a simple elec fence charger around ours. It keeps them out very well, and it's easy to take down in the fall.
If you don't have a power source close by, you could try a solar charger.

I never witnessed the critters getting bit by the elec fence, but I saw evidence of hasty retreats left in the dirt several times.
😀
Pretty much how I do mine but I put 4 strands up. First one just above the ground, top one about two feet up. I "bait" the perimeter with shelled corn, sprinkling some just inside the fence.
I've never had a problem with deer [yet] but coons and Squirrels if left unchecked will destroy my corn crop within days.
I don't have a power source close enough for my fence charger so I use a 12 volt charger with an auto battery. I forget how many "joules" this system puts out but I know for a fact it'll knock the crap out of ya.:eek:

Omega

Have had issues with crows plucking our seedlings as they broke through. A radio playing in our shed stopped that.
Yea, I had that issue when I had the larger garden, with the smaller one I now maintain, I have a net that I can lay across it to keep the flying thieves out. But I haven't used it yet, but have run an electric fence which did a decent job on squirrels, until they figured out the fence wasn't wired. The squirrels too have found that my fruit trees are better pickings so they get those first.
YCU37Y4.jpg

vWdL9Kf.jpg

Moonman

So what I've learned from my neighbor is that when they can see them they can jump them. I've put a single layer of hot wire 1-2 ft above the ground on little rebar posts. I he deer don't see them and hit their foot and can't judge where to jump. I'm going to put 2 this year cause that what neighbor man does and it helps with rabbits coons and other things too. My issue will be the neighbors guineas I'm afraid pecking stuff

JCDEERMAN

Never had good results from fake owls, used them but the squirrels didn't care, until I shocked them.
The fake owl worked great last year. Not working at all this year. I just ordered a coyote decoy and I'll move that thing around to different spots after dark each day. We'll see what happens 🤣

Latest posts