Handgun Hunting

jejeffrries71

What handgun have you used for deer hunting? Bullet size, style,& weight? I have used a .357 mag,158 gr. JSP. At close range it performed very well on a smaller deer. Well enough for me to appreciate it as a defensive round. I have a 10mm in 180 gr. JSP that should in theory be much better and at longer ranges, but have not had the opportunity.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 10-1/2" barrel and Simmons pro hunter pistol scope that has accounted for a few deer. I can hit pie plates at 100 yards but generally keep shots to less than 50. I shoot the 240 grain Winchester white box ammo and it shoots well. I also have a Glock g40 in 10mm I want to shoot a deer with but haven't had the right opportunity yet.

billyboy

I have killed several deer with my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. 7.5" barrel with a Leupold 4x scope using 240gr Hornady XTP's. Very accurate out to 100yds if you have a solid rest.

Chief44

I've hunted with a handgun for over 30 years and have tried several caliber/bullet type and weights. The topic of bullet type/weight has been debated countless times and in my opinion it comes down to personal preference. Most of my handgun hunting these days is done with just a couple of guns/loads. I've got a 7.5" super Blackhawk 44 mag that shoots 240 gr JHP and XTP's very well. I've taken a number of deer over the years with this combination and never had an issue. I've also got a Blackhawk chambered in 44 special. A 250 gr hardcast WFN bullet with a large meplet at 1000 FPS will kill just as well and I've never had one not pass all the way through a deer. They usually take a short run when shot with this load but blood trails are usually pretty good and they die quickly. Keep in mind that I hand load the 44 special. Unless you go with Underwood or buffalo bore, most 44 special loads are pretty weak for hunting. As for the 10 mm, this past season was the first time I've used that round for hunting. I did kill one deer with it using underwoods 180gr nosler JHP load and was pleased with the results. The 10mm is kinda new to me but from the research I've done the 200 gr XTP seems to be a good performer. Which ever bullet weight you choose in 10mm, I encourage you to seek out full power loads. Most factory loads are not going at true 10mm velocities. The main thing in handgun hunting is to practice and to limit your shots to ethical ranges.

41Magnum

Started out with a T/C Contender in 41 magnum scoped, still use it on occasion. I'm currently using a Ruger SRH in 41 magnum scoped and a Ruger GP100 in 357 magnum. It's at the gunsmith getting a new and longer barrel, action/ trigger job and scope base. I also have a 15" muzzeloader barrel for my G2 Contender. I didn't get it till late last year and will be doing load development for it to use this fall. I enjoy hunting with handguns as most of my shots are less that 100 yds. A lot less weight to pack in especially when I'm hunting the mountains around here.

DP713

I would like to get a Smith and Wesson 460 XVR to use for deer hunting. Anyone have any experience with that gun? S&W claim once sighted in, its a center hold from 0-250 yds... seems pretty bold to me.

TNlandowner

44 Rem Mag 10 1/2" bbl: taken several deer with it. Longest kill was 114 yards, clean pass through, buck went less than 15 yards. I try to keep shots under 50 yards, but I got excited and pushed my limit that day.

I shoot Hornady 240 grain XTP rounds.

Chief44

I would like to get a Smith and Wesson 460 XVR to use for deer hunting. Anyone have any experience with that gun? S&W claim once sighted in, its a center hold from 0-250 yds... seems pretty bold to me.
I don't have the Smith but do have a scoped BFR revolver in 460. Killed one deer at 150 yards and a few closer. I've shot it out to 200 and it's accurate enough to kill a deer at that distance But that's a little out of my comfort zone without a very solid rest.

jejeffrries71

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 10-1/2" barrel and Simmons pro hunter pistol scope that has accounted for a few deer. I can hit pie plates at 100 yards but generally keep shots to less than 50. I shoot the 240 grain Winchester white box ammo and it shoots well. I also have a Glock g40 in 10mm I want to shoot a deer with but haven't had the right opportunity yet.
I have a 40 too but am not yet confident enough in myself to hunt with it. Right now I am almost afraid to shoot it as I am not having much luck finding 10mm - at least finding what I want.

Last edited:

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I have a 40 too but am not yet confident enough in myself to hunt with it. Right now I am almost afraid to shoot it as I am not having much luck finding 10mm - at least finding what I want.
Absolutely true there. I have a few hundred rounds of Fmj but maybe 60 of hollow point or hunting rounds.

Iglow

I got one once with my ruger old army shooting 35 grn of 777 and a .457 round ball. The deer was maybe 10 yds from the tree and it never twitched. I'm wanting to try my Colt 1851 .44 next. If you can get an exit hole it don't take much, just put it in the right spot.,

DC219

Man... I want one so bad.. local store just got a 5" version in but I think that would defeat the point.
I have a super Blackhawk with a 5.5 in barrel and have had no problem killing deer with it. I've used 240 gr Hornady xtp and Barnes 200 gr copper. Both worked well. If you don't handload, Buffalo Bore makes some really good high performance loads. If you are recoil sensitive, you can get lots of solid practice in with a Ruger .22. (same sights as the .44) definitely wear hearing protection because a single shot from a hot .44 can cause permanent hearing damage; it's brutal.

Latest posts