Handgun hunting

Iglow

If you are like me and your eyesight isn't what it use to be with open sights, get a pair of pinhole glasses, they are like a time machine and you can see the sights and target both clearly like you are 20 again.

Lt.Dan

All my hunting handguns wear scopes, from 4x up to a 3x12 variable, for me, the cross hairs give me a more precise aiming point.
I can certainly see the advantage of that. And it is one of the reasons I'm looking to scope my .357. I am a very good shot but I also don't want to wound or miss a nice deer. I went to scopes on shotguns back in the day because of not making sure I had a good sight picture down that barrel on that bead. Missed a few deer and a bear because of it. This was back when it was shotgun only in the area I hunted.

Iglow

My dad hunted with a 3 screw RSB 44 mag, he shot at one with me sitting beside him when I was 14 and my left ear is still ringing! He put a leupold 1.5x scope on it later. I know a scope is better for accuracy but I just can't get past the odd look of it.

41Magnum

Awesome deer!! Congratulations

What scope you got on?
The Super Redhawk wears a Weaver 1.5 x 4.5 variable. The T/C 41 mag. wears a Bushnell 2 x 6 variable.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 19

Derek

Side question....how do you guys rest your pistol when hunting? I hunt out of elevated box blinds some and I wonder if resting the pistol on the wall of the blind would affect point of aim. I plan to do some testing when it warms up. I have a Ruger .44 mag Hunter that needs to go hunting.

iowavf

Side question....how do you guys rest your pistol when hunting? I hunt out of elevated box blinds some and I wonder if resting the pistol on the wall of the blind would affect point of aim. I plan to do some testing when it warms up. I have a Ruger .44 mag Hunter that needs to go hunting.
Are you talking about resting the pistol on a window ledge?

agelessssone

Yes. I need to test how that effects POI.
It affects POI not at all.
I sight my pistols in from a solid rest, as a window sill would be.
Put a Venom red dot on my CZ PO 1 and sighted it in that way.
Then fired four rounds in a headshot at 10 yds.
Moved target to 20 yds and hit 8 out of 8 in chest area, all from a solid rest.
I have killed four deer with pistols with iron sights from 7-40 yds.
Next year will take a couple with the red dot, more than likely leaning against a tree while in my hangon treestand.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I've put 7 rounds (686+) inside a 3" circle at 50yards with iron sights consistently. I'm thinking about scoping my Smith. But it only has a 4" barrel. Wondering if I need a longer gun. I'm more than confident in my abilities to shoot longer distances. It's my eye sight that can't see that far without a scope.
IMG_3219.jpeg

My 686 with a 7 inch barrel. The handgun scope has a real long relief, that took some adjusting to but I have taken 2 doe with it at 25 and 35 yards. They both went down inside 35 yards. Bought me a standing adjustable rest this recently. I'm very comfortable out to 50 yards with it and 150 grain soft points

Lt.Dan

View attachment 212453

My 686 with a 7 inch barrel. The handgun scope has a real long relief, that took some adjusting to but I have taken 2 doe with it at 25 and 35 yards. They both went down inside 35 yards. Bought me a standing adjustable rest this recently. I'm very comfortable out to 50 yards with it and 150 grain soft points
I like those grips you have.

Travis G.

Anyone have any experience with the CVA scout handguns? I have the muzzleloader that I hunt with and it's pretty slick. Super accurate and consistent. Was thinking about one in 350 legend

Derek

It affects POI not at all.
I sight my pistols in from a solid rest, as a window sill would be.
Put a Venom red dot on my CZ PO 1 and sighted it in that way.
Then fired four rounds in a headshot at 10 yds.
Moved target to 20 yds and hit 8 out of 8 in chest area, all from a solid rest.
I have killed four deer with pistols with iron sights from 7-40 yds.
Next year will take a couple with the red dot, more than likely leaning against a tree while in my hangon treestand.
Thanks for the info!

iowavf

I rest mine on a block I made that sets on the window sill. It's a little higher than the bag I have and easier with the scope I have on my 44. Made it from a 2 x 4, drilled and inch hole through it then cut it in half. Added some felt in the slot where the barrel rest, stained and finished the block just for looks. Doesn't seem to change POI any likie said before. I have it zeroed at 75 yards, but still right on at 100. Shot a doe last year at 90 yards.

Wooden Arrow

i'd treat my Ruger like a loud bow if i hunted with it. if it is within archery range (30 yds) for me, no sweat. i can keep them all in a 6" circle out to there with the iron sights.

kaizen leader

Yes, the long shot was a miracle as a Colorado mule deer buck jumped from his bed, ran away a short distance, then turned and looked back at me while standing broadside.... I fired a shot and he just stood there wondering what was going on.... I figured the round dropped under his chest, so I aimed for the very top of his back and fired again. He flinched and then fell a few feet away. Even at that distance, the 240 grain XTP expanded and passed through his rib cage.
Hell of a shot. Cool.

Latest posts