Ultradot Red Dots for hunting

east_tn_gk

Have any of you used an Ultradot Red dot optic? I am setting up a Model 686 revolver for deer hunting and am trying to decide what to put on it. I'll be shooting out to 75 yards max. Was originally planning on putting a scope on it, but see where a lot of guys are going to the red dots, so I want to check them out before making a decision.
If you have, what do you think about them?
Should I be looking for something with more than 1x magnification?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks guys

DaveTN

I haven't hunted with a handgun, but I've shot both red dots and scopes on handguns. I'd want a scope for hunting. Much more accurate, IMO.

I had a scoped 617, that I sold. I'm going to trade my PreLock 686 for a newer model that is drilled and tapped for a scope someday.

iowavf

I had a red dot on my 44 mag for deer hunting and it was very accurate. Only thing I didn't like is couple years ago I was shooting at a doe towards at last light of hunting season and the the dot looked a little bigger in the low light even on low setting. I switched to a Burris pistol scope but haven't shot a deer with it yet. 100 yards is my limit where I I hunt, but most shots will be 75 or less.

C1295

I will never have another red dot in my life on anything. It was a freak thing but it scarred me for life. I had a red dot go dead on me with the biggest buck of my life in front of me.

Remi

I've had one on a 44 mag for years with no issue. I change the battery every year. It has never wavered.

iowavf

I used the same one on my 44 that I had on my slug gun. Liked it better on the slug gun for moving targets when we use to push deer. I sit in a blind now and no moving shots and I think the cross hairs give me a tighter target versus the dot like I said earlier when the light was low. Now during normal shooting light the dot was very small and accurate.

Latest posts