Handgun hunting

Kevin Snook

Just wondering who all pistol hunts?
I usually pistol hunt in Virginia (Scott county) but didn't buy license this year due some health issues..( wish I had now)

I've got a couple.44 magnum Smiths.Shoot Hornady Custom 240 gr XTPs.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpeg
    IMG_1913.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0548.jpeg
    IMG_0548.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 13

Kevin Snook

Just wondering who all pistol hunts?
I usually pistol hunt in Virginia (Scott county) but didn't buy license this year due some health issues..( wish I had now)

I've got a couple.44 magnum Smiths.Shoot Hornady Custom 240 gr XTPs.

I have hunted with a Ruger super blackhawk 44 magnum, 10.5" bbl, using Hornady 240 gr XTPs. I've used iron sights to take deer from 7 - 110 yards away. Over the last three years, it has sat in a safe. I may put it back in to use soon ;o)
That's some good shooting to got one out to 100 with open sights. 👍💪🏼

TNlandowner

That's some good shooting to got one out to 100 with open sights. 👍💪🏼
Yes, the long shot was a miracle as a Colorado mule deer buck jumped from his bed, ran away a short distance, then turned and looked back at me while standing broadside.... I fired a shot and he just stood there wondering what was going on.... I figured the round dropped under his chest, so I aimed for the very top of his back and fired again. He flinched and then fell a few feet away. Even at that distance, the 240 grain XTP expanded and passed through his rib cage.

41Magnum

Congratulations that is a nice deer. How many yards away when you shot.
The rangefinder said 90 yds. He went about 35 or so and piled up. Had a good solid rest. 210gr. Nosler hp sitting on top of 21 gr. H-110. I practice at 100 yds with my revolvers. If you can put all 6 shots in an 8" circle at 100 yds consistently you're good to go with a revolver. My .02

Last edited:

Lt.Dan

The rangefinder said 90 yds. He went about 35 or so and piled up. Had a good solid rest. 210gr. Nosler hp sitting on top of 21 gr. H-110. I practice at 100 yds with my revolvers. If you can put all 6 shots in an 8" circle at 100 yds consistently you're good to go with a revolver. My .02
I've put 7 rounds (686+) inside a 3" circle at 50yards with iron sights consistently. I'm thinking about scoping my Smith. But it only has a 4" barrel. Wondering if I need a longer gun. I'm more than confident in my abilities to shoot longer distances. It's my eye sight that can't see that far without a scope.

iowavf

I have an older Taurus M44, 44 mag, 8 1/2" barrel with Burris scope. Shoot Hornady factory 240 gr hollow points and good to 100 yards which is about the longest shot I have from my blind. I carry it during shotgun and since I sold my ML, it's the gun I use for late ML season which is coming up December 18th. Shot a doe and coyote last year at 90 yards. I did make a nice block wood rest I use in the blind and added a spring kit.

41Magnum

I've put 7 rounds (686+) inside a 3" circle at 50yards with iron sights consistently. I'm thinking about scoping my Smith. But it only has a 4" barrel. Wondering if I need a longer gun. I'm more than confident in my abilities to shoot longer distances. It's my eye sight that can't see that far without a scope.
All my hunting handguns wear scopes, from 4x up to a 3x12 variable, for me, the cross hairs give me a more precise aiming point.

Last edited:

Latest posts