Gutless Method Processing on WMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVBulldog

SCN,

I was reading the turkey field dressing post and that sparked a memory on a conversation that took place a little while back. So from your post on the turkey processing question, you cannot leave behind the processed carcass, no matter if it's a deer or turkey, on a WMA? If true, then one should not use the gutless method while hunting on a WMA (unless of course the carcass is packed out as well). Just want to make sure Ive got this correct.
Thanks for your help as always!

[color:#3366FF]For reference[/color]

scn

Animals may be field dressed on a WMA, but IMO it would not be legal to leave behind the carcass.

The answer to your question would probably depend on how much is left behind.

AT Hiker

WVBulldog said:
SCN,

I was reading the turkey field dressing post and that sparked a memory on a conversation that took place a little while back. So from your post on the turkey processing question, you cannot leave behind the processed carcass, no matter if it's a deer or turkey, on a WMA? If true, then one should not use the gutless method while hunting on a WMA (unless of course the carcass is packed out as well). Just want to make sure Ive got this correct.

Are you talking about the gutless method were you bone out everything and pack it out? If so you would be leaving behind about 60% of the carcass.

I would personally get permission from the manager and just pack them out if it was that far in, whitetails are not that heavy.

Good question though as I use the gutless method a lot out West

WVBulldog

AT Hiker said:
WVBulldog said:
SCN,

Are you talking about the gutless method were you bone out everything and pack it out? If so you would be leaving behind about 60% of the carcass.

I would personally get permission from the manager and just pack them out if it was that far in, whitetails are not that heavy.

Yep, that's what I was talking about. When you start getting pretty far back in while hunting more aggressive terrain the total weight of the carcass starts to get more difficult, but youre correct, not unmanageble if you break it down.

Nonetheless, sounds like there is some gray area there. I just stick with my normal routine and pack it all out. Better to be safe than sorry. Just saw the gutless method and though, wow that would be handy, but since I hunt 99% of the time on WMAs, not that useful it appears to my situation. Thanks for the responses.

scn

WVBulldog said:
AT Hiker said:
WVBulldog said:
SCN,

Yep, that's what I was talking about. When you start getting pretty far back in while hunting more aggressive terrain the total weight of the carcass starts to get more difficult, but youre correct, not unmanageble if you break it down.

Nonetheless, sounds like there is some gray area there. I just stick with my normal routine and pack it all out. Better to be safe than sorry. Just saw the gutless method and though, wow that would be handy, but since I hunt 99% of the time on WMAs, not that useful it appears to my situation. Thanks for the responses.

There are gray areas. But, if you want to do it, I'd give the Area Manager a call and see what they say. I would not be surprised to see you get a positive response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts