Gut Shot

MrD1

Hit a deer back this morning. There's a good blood trail of red blood but it's a definite gut shot. Any tips on how long to wait? First gut shot deer so I'm not sure. Especially since I'd heard they don't bleed much.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I appreciate it.

Omega

Hit a deer back this morning. There's a good blood trail of red blood but it's a definite gut shot. Any tips on how long to wait? First gut shot deer so I'm not sure. Especially since I'd heard they don't bleed much.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I appreciate it.
At least 30, they will usually lay down when wounded, still hunt toward him then, be prepared to finish him if he gets up. Good luck.

ROVERBOY

Yeah, I think so. It could've possibly did a lot of damage but, if you didn't get a vital organ, it might be awhile. Good luck.

DoubleRidge

It's good that your seeing a good blood trail....but don't push him.....back out.

Open timber or thick brush? If he went in open timber you may be able to slip in and glass the area....but I'd wait.

When you do decide to go in...go super slow and watch ahead obviously being ready for a follow-up....good luck....post pics when you find him.

backyardtndeer

Really honestly think it depends on all the circumstances, especially with it going to be so warm today. If you heard him run off and think he layed down, you might be able to sneak in on him and finish him off. Or if he hunched up and walked off he may have lay down close by. What kind of cover, whether you can get a shot on him or not.

Here yotes run these deer trails heavy this time of year, and another concern would be they may push one further or worse yet start eating on your deer before you find him.

With all that being said, here I would probably give it an hour or so and go back and try to glass for him and start taking up tracking from where you last saw him.

scn

There are a lot of variables in play.

If you have other hunters in the area that are likely to jump him up, then the answer moves towards looking a little quicker. If you don't, wait a good while. I've read from several sources that I consider reliable that waiting at least 4 hours is advisable.

BUT, it is going to be hot this afternoon. Once he dies, he will begin spoiling fairly quickly, particularly with a gut shot. That moves the pendulum some back towards not waiting that long.

Great advice above in still hunting to him rather than a fast track on the blood. Try to see him first through some binos and be ready to anchor him with a neck shot if his head is up.

Good luck!

megalomaniac

The guys who blood trail with dogs recommend 8h after the shot before picking up the trail. Id give him 4h minimum if you think you got liver, a full 8h if you hit further back from that. Be prepared he is still alive, but should be slow to react after that time frame

Ladys man

Depending on time frame, but If you can still hunt your way in. Terrain features, cover undergrowth, and wind all play a role in it. I'd give 4 hrs but if you don't have a good trail of back out. If you use a dog your scent will effect dogs ability to stay on the trail of the deer, or so I've been told. I've never used a dog.

huvrman

Many years ago I hunted an area and as I was walking in late morning, ran into a couple of guys who were leaving. Told me they'd shot a buck with a 30-30, found some blood and hair, but never found the deer. They had shot the deer around 8:00. I decided since they had tromped all over the area, I would set up on a well used leading from the vast thicket they said the deer ran toward. This was noon. At 3:30, along walks a buck out of the thicket, with his stomach hanging out his side. It wasn't limping. It wasn't acting like it was even hit. It was just walking like it had someplace to be. When I shot it quartering away at 25 yards, it took off like a scalded dog and made it another 50 yards before folding up. Whitetails are tough. You never know how far or long they will go after being gut shot. Apparently this guy found someplace to hunker down close, then tried to ease out of the area once all got quiet.

mike243

I believe John Sloan said he would push 1 and make him bleed out or get another shot at them while pushing, I kinda like that idea in warm weather or a lot of hunters in the area

MrD1

Thanks everyone. It was a doe, not a buck. I gave her 4 hours and went. She had only gone 20 yards further when I had bumped her earlier. Looks like when she jumped up, part of her liver broke off completely. May have contributed to that. I appreciate all the help!