Gut Shot

cbhunter

Thanks everyone. It was a doe, not a buck. I gave her 4 hours and went. She had only gone 20 yards further when I had bumped her earlier. Looks like when she jumped up, part of her liver broke off completely. May have contributed to that. I appreciate all the help!
Buck or doe don't matter, glad you got your deer! Does do expire easier than bucks from my experience. Congrats

Spurhunter

I believe John Sloan said he would push 1 and make him bleed out or get another shot at them while pushing
I'm sure he knew more about deer hunting than I ever will, and I remember him saying this. But it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. In my 30+ years of deer hunting almost every deer I've heard of being unrecovered was due to an impatient hunter going after the deer immediately, and jumping him up never to be seen again. Sloan loved to go against the crowd and the grain, and be somewhat controversial. Maybe that's where this came from. The sad part is there are young hunters that read this and took it as the gospel. Nothing good ever comes from jumping a deer up that has laid down to die.

mike243

While I wouldn't push 1 with a bow I absolutely will with something that goes bang, I hunt deer for the meat #1 and horns 2nd, in warm weather they don't last long before the meat spoils, you take a chance of losing a deer either way and its up to the hunter to make the choice imo.

Latest posts