Ground Jerky

BIG D

I make a good amount of jerky and it seems to me that as a basic rule, it's better using mostly dry ingredients on ground and liquid with sliced muscle. I use some liquids in with the base mix like Soy, Teriyaki or Tiger Sauce but not much.

Saw a thread where someone was using a half bottle of soy and a half bottle of teryaki for 4 # of meat. Any ideas on using this much liquid with ground?

I don't wanna mess up the meat since it actually belongs to someone else!! Need input

FULLDRAWXX75

Big D,

I used to slice and soak my jerky, then started using ground meat.

I use dry ingredients with about 3T of liquid per lb, just enough to mix the ingredients in before mixing with the ground meat. Remember the more liquid in the longer it takes to dry, the purpose in jerking meat is to remove the moisture and stop spoilage, that is why the salt is added as well.

I like the dry ingredients better, more direct flavoring into the meat, all the way through.

Using ground venison and a jerky shooter gun is quick and uniform as well, which in turn makes the timing easier as well.

Less mess also.

FDXX75

BIG D

Yea, I've made about 15 or 20 pounds this year. Wanted a different approach on spices . Saw one on here for sweet and hot using a bunch of liquid on ground and didn't really see how you could use that much liquid.
Thanks for the response

rutnstrut2

I have some soking tonight wish I saw this first I have never made it with ground first time I guess we will see how it turns out. anybody got a good recipe with ground let me know new to the ground jerkey had alot of ground from the deer this year and tought it would be something to do with it for my son bc he loves jerkey.

FULLDRAWXX75

Here is a Hawaiian Jerky

2 lbs ground meat
1 tsp salt
1 Tbls brown sugar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c pineapple juice

Mix all ingredients and pour over meat, mix very well and refrigerate overnight.

Guadalajara Jerky

2 lbs ground meat
1/4 c bbq sauce
1/4 c water
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbls McCormick powdered Fajita mix
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt

mix and refrigerate overnight

New England Jerky

2 lbs ground meat
1/2 tsp bl pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 c soy sauce
1 Tbls worcestershire sauce
1/4 c water

mix and refrig. overnight

Texas Jerky

2 lbs ground meat
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bl pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 c water

I have a few more.......... Mexican, New Orleans, Italian & Southern style jerky (spicy bbq flavor).

I personally like the Backwoods Jerky mixes the best. They come all ready, just add the cure and water into the meat along with the spices.

Hope you enjoy them

FDXX75

BIG D

Fulldraw.......... You da man!! I've got about 4 or 5 diff High Country mixes in cabinet but I just can't stop there. lol.
Think I'm gonna leave them in the cabinet and use a couple of yours. I'll just use my cure from those.
Thanks alot.

BIG D

I just bought ANOTHER dehydrator at BASS PRO over holiday sale. Payed 99 and sold for 160 the next day. It's a bad boy. You can do about 5-6 pounds in 3 - 3.5 hours(soft and chewy) or go to 5hrs for rough to tear.

BIG D

JohnnyBond said:
Big D jerky is the bomb ......looking forward to the next batch
Thanks JB. It hasn't been coming out as good as I want. To get my desired taste I have to use at least twice the spice the packet recommends.
Putting some on here shortly. Will be availible for pick up tommorrow night. Will have a couple batches. Hope ya all enjoy. Next thing is using some of this jerky to make some pemmican

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I recently got a box of jerky mix from Bass Pro . I added water to the ground meat for the 1st time. The directions said add 1/4 cup water per pound. It mixed up alittle easier .Cooked it in the oven at 200* for a hour and half to 2 hours. It came out perfect.

FULLDRAWXX75

WestTn Huntin'man said:
I recently got a box of jerky mix from Bass Pro . I added water to the ground meat for the 1st time. The directions said add 1/4 cup water per pound. It mixed up alittle easier .Cooked it in the oven at 200* for a hour and half to 2 hours. It came out perfect.

That sounds like quite a bit of added liquid, I think all my mixes call for a few tablespoons of water per Lb.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I've never added water before but believe in following directions.It called for 1/4 cup per pound. The 200* is alittle warmer than I usally cook it. I followed the directions . Cooked it till it would bend and just barely snap when it was completely bent. It came out real good
Hi Mountain Mandarin Teriyaki Jerky Mix from Wyoming

KANATI McD

i add 2.5 ounces of liquid per pound with a mixture of dry ingredients i mix them together in a tall glass with 1/4 tsp of cure per pound mix in with meat really good and refrigerate for 24 hours the cure does its job while it is in the refrigerater

i dehydrate it 4-5 hours depending on the texture..ive tried many different amounts of liquid etc.. 3 oz. per pound is to much, hard to shoot out of gun,to mushy, and sticks to trays in dehydrator..... 2 0z. works but jerky will come out bland....

2.5 oz. is key for me, the liquid makes my jerky

Latest posts