JERKY

Forvols

I made a 17lb batch of jerky 2 flavors. This one is teriyaki 8lb 6oz batch. I added 4TBL spoons of red pepper flakes. Run in the Excalibur dehydrator for 7hrs. Actual jerky yield was 3lb 15oz. So little over 50% weight reduction. This was ground meat using a weston jerky cannon. LEM teriyaki seasoning. It is very good, I think one of my favorites now. Vac bagged 3-4oz per bag got 15bags and one 6oz bag for my son. Thats about 9-11 4in pieces per bag. The other batch is a sweet and hot, nice sweet not so much hot so I added 4tsp of cayenne pepper to a 8lb 10oz batch. Run it in the dehydrator for 7hrs also (no pictures for it but turn out very well and another favorite flavor). LEM sweet and hot seasoning kit.

Attachments

• JERKY.jpg
    JERKY.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 56
  • JERKY BAGGED.jpg
    JERKY BAGGED.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 53

TX300mag

So can I ask what temperature you smoke them at and roughly how long?
Thanks
Cold smoke, heat not necessary but will speed up drying. I like cold, very low humid days.

Lately I've used pellet smoker 🫃 set to 170, but I prop door up a few inches to keep heat down. I check it every hour or so and pull it when it feels right-anywhere from 6-12 hours depending on humidity, thickness, etc.

Disclaimer: I don't use cure with whole meat. I might bring it up to temp or use a little cure with ground meat if I wanted to play it safe, but smoking ground meat can be weird.

Forvols

Whole muscle jerky I do same as TX300mag, though I do add cure to the marinade whether I am using smoker or dehydrator. Set my smoker to 160 and let it go, I start checking it after 5hrs. I use the bend test on the jerky, after 5hrs I even take a bite see how the texture and dryness is. Ground meat, just my preference I usually run the dehydrator.

ETA: My hunting buddy just gave me a bag of what he called jerky chips (he fell asleep and let the dehydrator run at total of 15hrs). I was like ok, but tell you what that stuff was addictive as lays potato chips. Couldnt eat just one, he had a very good seasoning mix on it)

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
That looks great!

LEM seasonings are really good. That's the only brand I'll use. I think my favorites are hickory and mesquite. Usually I'll dust half the batch with crushed cayenne. We eat A LOT of jerky.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230119_182345_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230119_182345_Gallery.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts