Tips for first time jerky maker

Sniper

Going to give it a shot, bought a dehydrator and a couple mixes. Going to use some deer steaks cut super thin. Directions with my dehydrator says run at 158F for 5-6 hours. I will season the strips and refrigerate for 24 hours prior to drying. Anything to watch out for? I don't want to get food poison lol? Thanks in advance for any tips!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Dehydrators and mixes come with good directions. If your Dehydrator has a fan you should do fine. I usually flip my meat and rotate the trays about 1/2 way thru. Just like a crock pot Peeking will increase the drying time. It should be pliable and bend like leather at 1st then crack at about the 1/2 way point. Take 1 piece out and let it cool off to test it.

SES

Don't cut too thin or you'll have meat crackers. I cut mine just shy of 1/4". People ask me how much soy, Worcestershire sauce and other stuff I put on my venison. I tell them I usually put enough spices and sauces on that I'm sure I've ruined it. Then I double that amount.

Forvols

I like using ground meat vs whole muscle. I mix one pound of meat and seasoning along with #1cure, then do a test fry patty. See if I like the amount of seasoning or want to add something. When doing jerky you only need to add #1 cure for the amount of meat (or per direction on the seasoning package. But you have to have the cure in there or it wont be safe to eat), indifferent to how much seasoning you use. So weigh your meat prior and add 1.1gram of #1 cure(pink salt) per pound of meat. If doing whole muscle I would say mix up 1lb of meat seasoning and cure, let it set for 24hrs do a test fry piece see if you like it or want to add some seasoning. Then add any desired seasoning for the amount of meat you have to do and #1cure. Let it set for 24hrs and smoke or use dehydrator.

The cure is needed because in the 40-140 degree temp is the danger zone for meat and making jerky doing the dehydrating the meat is in that temp zone for a while. 4hrs in the 40-140 temp zone is where bad stuff can grow. the cure stops that. I set my smoker and dehydrator to 160 for making jerky, some people do 120 for longer drying times. Its why the cure is needed. When making jerky you are not cooking the meat (no 200-300 temps) you are drying it and letting the smoke/cure (both) make the meat safe. Remember the 4hrs 40-140 rule.

You can also look pasteurization tables for meat. Long and low equals time, but can be made safe to eat.

Last edited:

Latest posts