Ground deer for jerky

southernhunter

I have used up all my sliced jerky but I have a ton of ground left, I would like to used it to make some jerky but my question is since its had beef fat added to it will it still make good jerky ?

mike243

IMO no.lean meat is needed for jerky.Fat can & will hold moisture & mold ect no matter how much cure is in it

FULLDRAWXX75

You can use it, but it will take @ twice as long if using a dehydrator. Once dried, package and place in freezer, remove only what you intend to use in a reasonable time. I make jerky from ground beef all the time, it takes much longer to do, is not as "tough"/"chewy" as pure venison, but good all the same.

FDXX75

Crosshairy

I made some last year like this that had pork fat in it.

As others have said, it will take a lot longer to dry out (I think I did mine for about 30 hours in the dehydrator before I was satisfied).

Pros: Tastes good

Cons: the added fat makes the jerky look...weird. Some might say "gross". Everyone that tried it liked it, but in the future I will get lean burger made when destined for a jerky shooter gun.

Also, the sticks were "weeping" with fat afterwards. I felt like I was cooking bacon with all the beads of fat that came off of it. Keep some paper towels handy and wipe them down a lot to cut down on the fat sticking to the outside.

PalsPal

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER said:
i use it all the time.i really like it

That's all I have ever used.

In fact, I have some in the dehydrator right now. 3.5 to 4hrs and it's done.

When finished, I will lay it out on a paper towel, place another paper towel over the top and pat out any fat.

My family loves it.

FULLDRAWXX75

Crosshairy said:
I made some last year like this that had pork fat in it.

As others have said, it will take a lot longer to dry out (I think I did mine for about 30 hours in the dehydrator before I was satisfied).

Pros: Tastes good

Cons: the added fat makes the jerky look...weird. Some might say "gross". Everyone that tried it liked it, but in the future I will get lean burger made when destined for a jerky shooter gun.

Also, the sticks were "weeping" with fat afterwards. I felt like I was cooking bacon with all the beads of fat that came off of it. Keep some paper towels handy and wipe them down a lot to cut down on the fat sticking to the outside.

TCounty Hunter

Ive used it a bunch. I always wipe the pieces off (fat) many times during dehydrating. It WILL mold, even in the fridge in short order. I just dont make any more than I can eat in a few days, unless you freeze it. I wish I could figure a way out to make it less salty tho

FULLDRAWXX75

TCounty Hunter said:
Ive used it a bunch. I always wipe the pieces off (fat) many times during dehydrating. It WILL mold, even in the fridge in short order. I just dont make any more than I can eat in a few days, unless you freeze it. I wish I could figure a way out to make it less salty tho

Are you using salt or the processing cure???

FDXX75

Crosshairy

The molding problem is foreign to me for the time period you are talking about. Perhaps you aren't using enough cure, or it's not getting mixed in enough (or it's not fully dehydrating)??

In general, the refrigerator isn't a bad thing for the jerky just as an added precaution, but I left plenty of CURED jerky out on the counter in a ziplock bag for a solid week with no ill effects.