Green. Pork.

Trapper John

I love Chile Verde. And I love pork. So I searched the entirety of the State of Tennessee for what seemed to be the last tomatillos on the shelf. They got roasted until tender and tossed into a blender with guajillo peppers, a serrano, garlic, some chicken stock, cilantro, onion, and green chiles. That went into a Dutch oven with more chicken stock. I took a pork butt and cubed it and dusted the cubes in flour, salt, pepper, and cumin. Those got fried until a little crispy then it all went into the pot for about two hours. I ate a shameful amount. Shameful.

TX300mag

That's awesome Trapper John! You've always added such good stuff on cooking and I'm glad to see you back posting regularly.

Have you ever tried cooking chicharrones in that sauce? That's one of my absolute favorites. There's a hole-in-the wall Mexican meet market at work that makes the best ones, but I quit eating them because the cook everything in vegetable oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

My wife makes chicharone ( I cannot spell it and barely pronounce) once or twice a year.

She invites her sewing circle buddies over and they demolish it.

Its kind of weird watching grown ladies be quiet while they attend to the victuals.

Folks walking down the sidewalk get a whiff and stop for a few seconds to soak it up.

I have never been allowed to take a bite even.

TAFKAP

I'm going to start doing stuff like this. My new job is located in a very Hispanic part of town, and I have easy access to their butchery styles and harder-to-find produce. I'll see if they have any tomatillos so we can make this. I love green pork

GMB54

Green tomato works but not as well as tomatillo. If you really want pork chile verde to turn out incredible, grill the meat first. I use boneless country style ribs. Put a good char on them on the grill. Cut them into chunks and slow cook in your verde sauce. Works awesome for skinless boneless chicken thighs too. I like a little avocado in mine.

Anahiems with a few jalapeno is the mix i use. Grill it all and peel the Anaheims. Oven works in a pinch but dont skip grilling the meat.
yfrWZlc.jpg

DmItkiv.jpg

If you are rushed and need something pretty good. Look for this at Walmart. They also sell one with tomatillo in it. Both mine always have tomatillo so its a no brainer.
jmmDTay.jpg

Rojo tomatillo and avocado salsa also makes a stellar base for a chile verde. Super simple and really good. Just add some chicken stock.
ES-Tomatillo-Avocado2.png

Trapper John

TX300mag":2tpil8zl said:
That's awesome Trapper John! You've always added such good stuff on cooking and I'm glad to see you back posting regularly.

Have you ever tried cooking chicharrones in that sauce? That's one of my absolute favorites. There's a hole-in-the wall Mexican meet market at work that makes the best ones, but I quit eating them because the cook everything in vegetable oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I haven't tried that but it does sound awesome. Next time I'm doing the Chile Colorado with the red sauce and beef roast. Or venison shank. Something with lots of connective tissue to make it extra good!

X-Tennessean

Def gonna try this, Both look awesome!!
I have never tried making salsa verde but have some Hispanic friends who I get to make it.
Will check the local Hispanic market and see if they have tamatillos.

GMB54

Real salsa verde has tomatillo already in it. Main ingredient actually. So if you like theirs all you need is some chicken stock and meat. Plus any additional spices like cumin and a good helping of onions. That Rojo's salsa i posted makes a really killer and simple pork chile verde with just additional onion and chicken stock.

http://www.rojossalsa.com/tomatillo-avocado

I like mine straight up with just pork or chicken. White beans or potato added are good too.

Latest posts