Great Smokies causing headeaches for NC wildlife..

Diehard Hunter

Well, they were stocked on the North Carolina side of the park, and there is very little if any suitable habitat between where they were stocked and suitable habitat (Cade's Cove) on the Tennessee side. I wouldn't expect them to cross into Tennessee from Cataloochee.

Doskil

I would have expected them at some point to expand onto private farm lands in both TN and NC just like the wild boars have but it seems they have not expanded very much, which I guess is a good thing considering the crop damage they do.

I guess if the herd does get large enough some of them might find there way to Cades Cove.

They should have been released there to begin with. Lot better habitat than Cataloochee for wildlife.

Biggun4214

Some of the elk have wandered as far as Douglas Lake in Jefferson Co. We moved a what was probably a 1 1/2 year old 6 point 2 years ago. Other reports have been documented in Cocke and Sevier counties.

Jugfish

Elk in Cades Cove would be a beautiful thing to see, but can you imagine the traffic jams then? It is bad enough now. But imagine the spectacle of about 300 elk during the rut.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
This will get some traffic grinding to a halt...........

Bullmating.jpg

Locksley

Diehard Hunter said:
Well, they were stocked on the North Carolina side of the park, and there is very little if any suitable habitat between where they were stocked and suitable habitat (Cade's Cove) on the Tennessee side. I wouldn't expect them to cross into Tennessee from Cataloochee.

Originally Posted By: Doskil

Quote:

All were released in the Cataloochee area, where many have stayed, though some have migrated west to Cades Cove � animals like the open grassy areas available in both those locations, Hillard said

http://theonefeather.com/2013/01/wcu-st ... resources/

I always thought Cades Cove was the perfect place for starting an Elk herd . It is grazing areas which Elk need . Cades Cove is in the center of the park surrounded by mountains so they are safer from poaching. Cades Cove will allow lots of people to see the Elk.

Doskil

Nice.

I'm guessing that is a Cataloochee elk (as opposed to Royal Blue)?

Thanks for sharing

I'm glad the TWRA has no problems with Smokies elk moving outside the park.

Locksley

Doskil said:
I would have expected them at some point to expand onto private farm lands in both TN and NC just like the wild boars have but it seems they have not expanded very much, which I guess is a good thing considering the crop damage they do.

I guess if the herd does get large enough some of them might find there way to Cades Cove.

They should have been released there to begin with. Lot better habitat than Cataloochee for wildlife.
I had thought it the perfect place for Elk.

Latest posts