-70 Wind Chill Gonna Be Tough on WY Wildlife

tellico4x4

Antelope are especially suspectable to deep snow & cold. This coupled with the past few years drought could be devastating on game. Keep in mind if planning a hunt near term.

Grnwing

Antelope are especially suspectable to deep snow & cold. This coupled with the past few years drought could be devastating on game. Keep in mind if planning a hunt near term.
It certainly is! The speed goats in ND will migrate south in to SD when winter conditions get bad. Few years back the season was closed partly because of a bad winter. Its also encouraged to not spook or push the big game from their respective shelters during the harsh winter conditions because of the additional calories they burn to keep warm in a very tough time of year. Really makes you appreciate how awesome of an animal they are to survive theae brutal conditions.

AT Hiker

It certainly is! The speed goats in ND will migrate south in to SD when winter conditions get bad. Few years back the season was closed partly because of a bad winter. Its also encouraged to not spook or push the big game from their respective shelters during the harsh winter conditions because of the additional calories they burn to keep warm in a very tough time of year. Really makes you appreciate how awesome of an animal they are to survive theae brutal conditions.
Black Hills whitetail deer also migrate, one of the few whitey herds that bounce out when things get western.

1 good shot

One when I was working at the Jackson Hole airport, they wouldn't let the planes land because it was so cold that the tires would shatter on impact. I found out later -60 was the cutoff point. The guy that did our local weather observations reported -73.
I have tried to find records of that time frame there but the coldest recorded during that time was -48 actual temp, not wind chill

tellico4x4

One when I was working at the Jackson Hole airport, they wouldn't let the planes land because it was so cold that the tires would shatter on impact. I found out later -60 was the cutoff point. The guy that did our local weather observations reported -73.
I have tried to find records of that time frame there but the coldest recorded during that time was -48 actual temp, not wind chill
WOW!
Most beautiful location for airport that I've ever been too.

Hduke86

It hasn't been back opened for long. I just flew in and out of there late summer I think it was and had to delay my trip until it was back opened from fixing some things. It was closed for a good while and they sure were glad to get it back opened.

tellico4x4

Unfortunately they (whoever they are ) probably couldn't pay you enough to work there anymore😔
One of the most beautiful places on earth but 99% of us will never be able to live there.
Was there once when "they" were raising money for the "arts". 5K race cost $500 entry fee, then silent auction was mega bucks. Paper reported over $2M raised in one day!
Millionaire is nothing, gotta have a B to raise an eyebrow. Not bad for a podunk town where cowboys were riding horses into bars 80 years ago.

Mattt

Wasn't 80 years ago. I lived in afton one year. Rebuilt power lines up and down. Traffic around Jackson and Tetons was brutal.still plenty of cowboys still around and sometimes they come out at nite lol. Scares the hell out of all the flatheads that vacation there.

Latest posts