Got it done!

southernhunter

vsl8ax.jpg
. Wobblyshot got it done today, had a blast

southernhunter

I'll let him tell the details but it worked out for us both he got a deer and I learned a lot about flintlocks. Wobblyshot is a great guy.

Wobblyshot1

First a big thank you to southernhunter's invite and the opportunity hunt and put some venison in the freezer which was running real low, by the way. We became acquainted on this site. David is strongly bent toward bow hunting with his first love being traditional archery. He also likes sidelock muzzleloaders which he has come to me on occasion for advice about loads, guns, and flintlocks. I love to promote traditional muzzleloading and certainly don't mind investing in anyone interested. After all, I have 45 years experience and learned myself in my early years from some really knowledgeable folks.
The hunt was a day long event except for a mid day lunch and more talking flintlocks. The morning hunt, I don't think, was as David hoped. The deer were being rather uncooperative on that bright sunshine but cold windy day. Hunting was from an elevated shooting house overlooking a large marshy area surrounded by woods on all sides. The afternoon hunt was much of the same with no deer to be seen. As sunset approached and light beginning to fail(difficult to see iron sights in low light), I decided to begin getting my gear together and call it a day. Suddenly a doe appeared to my left at about 80 yards...just a tad too far for me to feel comfortable at making a 100% successful shot. A few moments later this young buck come out from my right and heads toward the doe causing her to high tail it straight toward me never giving me a shot. The buck, however, pulls up broadside at 40 yards … sights on...hammer fall...BOOM!, smoke...buck runs back into the woods(about 60 yards) Just out of sight. When I went to find him there was no trouble as a blood trail led straight to where I had last seen him. The ball was a pass through taking out part lung and liver. I was using my short 58 caliber flinter loaded with a bear grease patched .570 ball ahead of 82 grains of GOEX 2fg real black powder(magnum load, LOL). It just don't get no better than this...good fellowship, good hunt, and success. Thanks again David!

Latest posts