Done with BH209 (for now)

Harold Money jr

I can't see spending $62.00 for 10 ounces. I know I'm cheap but, dang. I'm gonna shoot my old Pyrodex P, it worked wonderfully for years and I have a ready supply. This year also gonna do more caplock hunting with round balls and goex fffg. Anyone else?

Wobblyshot1

If I hunt this year it will likely be with my flintlock short rifle. It's a .58 caliber and using a .570 patched ball ahead of three drams of GOEX 2fg it has never failed me. Most of my shots would be at 60 yards or less which is what I feel comfortable with using iron sights in a woodland setting.

iowavf

I liked it better than anything else, but when I couldn't find it along with the Barnes 45 cal bullets I was using, I sold my Encore. I got a Mossberg 450 bushmaster and use my 44 mag for late ML season here in Iowa. I liked my Encore, but wasn't going back to 777. It also helps that where I'll be deer hunting the rest of my life, the longest shot is only 130 yards but usually less than 100 yards.

LanceS4803

I was lucky enough to snag a couple of bottles from Midsouth earlier this year. But dang, those small bottles go real fast!

JCDEERMAN

I've used 777 pellets for years with great accuracy and kills. After my incident last year at 6 yards, I'm moving to BH209. I'll get 700 more foot pounds of energy and that deer would of dropped in his tracks. Instead, he made a 1100 yard track and found him 3 months later. Just bought two 8oz containers for $56 each. I would have paid $1000 to of found that deer in the moment. I totally get it, but it's all about perspective.

squirrel_hunter

I went to Walmart when they listed wrong price. Tag said 38 + grab a few cans of them. Started to pay for them. It came to 52+ per bottle. I took the guy back and showed him the tag. He let me have mine for 38 plus tax. I should have grabbed 2 or 3 at that price.

BSK

I can't see spending $62.00 for 10 ounces. I know I'm cheap but, dang. I'm gonna shoot my old Pyrodex P, it worked wonderfully for years and I have a ready supply. This year also gonna do more caplock hunting with round balls and goex fffg. Anyone else?
Never shot BH209. All I shoot is FFFg. But to be honest, I would love to start over with a new barrel and shoot loose 777 (NEVER shoot the pellets!).

DoubleRidge

I have the modified CVA breech plug for BH209 but hadn't made the switch yet....120gr 777 shoots well in my Accura but on the second or third load the Barnes T-EZ's are a challenge to seat with the crud ring.... looking forward to working up a BH209 load....might not be this fall....but eventually I'll make the swap.

JCDEERMAN

I have the modified CVA breech plug for BH209 but hadn't made the switch yet....120gr 777 shoots well in my Accura but on the second or third load the Barnes T-EZ's are a challenge to seat with the crud ring.... looking forward to working up a BH209 load....might not be this fall....but eventually I'll make the swap.
I've been doing some reading on whether I need a new breech plug for my TC Omega. I think I'm good with my original plug

DoubleRidge

I've been doing some reading on whether I need a new breech plug for my TC Omega. I think I'm good with my original plug

I believe your good to go on the Omega....my understanding is the original CVA plugs flash channel or hole was smaller....and the modified BH plug CVA offers has a larger hole to ensure ignition....look forward to trying it out.

knightrider

I believe your good to go on the Omega....my understanding is the original CVA plugs flash channel or hole was smaller....and the modified BH plug CVA offers has a larger hole to ensure ignition....look forward to trying it out.
You will love it, i can shoot 50 times and its still just as smooth to load as the first time and still just as accurate

squirrel_hunter

I shoot a new cva optima v2 lr 50 cal. I had to goto the blackhorn plug. If i didnt i was told i could get some misfires. Now i can shoot blackhorn or 777 now. I sent a email checking on the price of a smokeless muzzleloader. I fount a cva scout 45/70 rifle. Too use in cva smokeless ml build. I wont get it build this season. But i hope too by next yr. If i have one built. I will be selling my cva optima.

philsanchez76

I shoot a new cva optima v2 lr 50 cal. I had to goto the blackhorn plug. If i didnt i was told i could get some misfires. Now i can shoot blackhorn or 777 now. I sent a email checking on the price of a smokeless muzzleloader. I fount a cva scout 45/70 rifle. Too use in cva smokeless ml build. I wont get it build this season. But i hope too by next yr. If i have one built. I will be selling my cva optima.
ive got the CVA 45-70 converted and it's awesome! you won't be disappointed

squirrel_hunter

I was going to buy a blue scout. But the guy said he didnt have a muzzle brake for one. Only for a stainless one. I am putting a Leopold 3x9x40mm Muzzle Loader. A ultimate slam scope on my optima . I could get used to a smokeless one . What powder are you using? Imr 4198? Just guessing?

philsanchez76

I was going to buy a blue scout. But the guy said he didnt have a muzzle brake for one. Only for a stainless one. I am putting a Leopold 3x9x40mm Muzzle Loader. A ultimate slam scope on my optima . I could get used to a smokeless one . What powder are you using? Imr 4198? Just guessing?
So far IMR4198, H4198, A5744 and IMR4227

soggybottom

I'm good on powder.

Attachments

• 05F35FB7-414F-4DF3-A2B6-2BDEE117E7B3.jpeg
    05F35FB7-414F-4DF3-A2B6-2BDEE117E7B3.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 49

GMB54

I was going to buy a blue scout. But the guy said he didnt have a muzzle brake for one.
Blued Scouts are not offered with a brake or threading but you get a slightly longer barrel.

There are several powders that work very well with 45cal smokeless.Typically the slower powders like 4198, Reloder7 and N120 are far more commonly used than the faster Savage "book powders".

Latest posts