Stuck breech plug Thompson Encore - broke it.

Loukiii

Ok... so dummy broke the breech plug and it is stuck in the gun. Sooo. I either need some help removing it and a new breech plug... or a whole new barrel.
Suggestions. Since Thompson/Center Arms is out of business I am pretty much screwed.

Suggestions for a quality inexpensive .50 muzzleloader?

44 mag

Pretty much anything the CVA line is a quality muzzleloader the wolf is the cheapest option I think

Kelljp

Check with cfnparts.com or Idaho Arms and EABCO.
There are other companies build Encore / contender barrels and repairs. Bellm, ssk, blueberry inc.
Check with Ed's Contenders website he also has encore barrels.

fairchaser

I had a breech plug gall when I didn't use antiseize. My stupidity. I was able to put it in a vise and put a 6 point socket and by working it back and forth, break it free. Lesson learned.

If you can put the barrel in a vise and get a purchase on the plug, don't be afraid to go tight then loose. An induction heater could also apply some heat. Best of luck!

Carlos

Someone gave me a MX a couple of years back, and the plug was seized up really bad.
I had to heat the barrel up, and using an extractor, that nearly broke off. After I got it out, there was significant putting in the barrel. I bought a replacement plug for $10 and sold the whole rig for $40 as-is.

double browtine

Soak it in kroil or some kind of break free oil. Then put a grade a bolt on there and weld it to the breach plug. Then use a vise and a breaker bar to get it out using a 6 point socket. Or just go buy a CVA wolf in stainless and you'll probably like it better. That is what I did after I got tired of dealing with having to take apart my ole knight BK-92 and cleaning it up after I left it loaded for a year.

Omega

Have you tried contacting S&W? They had said they would still provide service for TC weapons.
NOTE: S&W remains committed to providing customer service to current T/C gun owners.

readonly

I would not give up on the gun. Unseize it an replace it. TC were the best on the market and terrible disservice that they have been discontinued. Here is a video you may find helpful to unseize and remove the plug:

Carlos

Ok... so dummy broke the breech plug and it is stuck in the gun. Sooo. I either need some help removing it and a new breech plug... or a whole new barrel.
Suggestions. Since Thompson/Center Arms is out of business I am pretty much screwed.

How much would you take for it- just like it is?

Lone Hunter

I have ordered from these people before and they had good prices and fast shipping.

jlburdge

Drill completely thru Breach Plus for correct easyout bit size then soak for several days using Kroil. And/Or Heat up the breach area (not directly on the plug) with a torch and then remove as barrel will expand from the heat.

jlburdge

Drill for a easyout bit of correct size + Use Kroil and soak for a couple of days. Or/and Heat up the breach area with a torch and then remove as barrel will expand from the heat.
Drill completely thru Breach Plus for correct easyout bit size then soak for several days using Kroil. And/Or Heat up the breach area (not directly on the plug) with a torch and then remove as barrel will expand from the heat.

Latest posts