Breech plug question

LanceS4803

There are quite a few on-line article about enlarging the flash hole. I would take the time to research as it depends on brand and length of flash hole.
I bought a set of specific drill bits to clean the flash hole and primer hole. It is surprising how much crud builds up in those two shafts.

Bon3_Daddy

There are quite a few on-line article about enlarging the flash hole. I would take the time to research as it depends on brand and length of flash hole.
I bought a set of specific drill bits to clean the flash hole and primer hole. It is surprising how much crud builds up in those two shafts.
Exactly my issue. I can't stand the tediousness of cleaning this needle sized hole

LanceS4803

Exactly my issue. I can't stand the tediousness of cleaning this needle sized hole
I only cleaned every range session or two.
The company I bought the set from is out of business, but it was two drill bits (Flash hole and Primer pocket) and holders with a set screw to control depth. Very easy to use and kept in the MZ tackle box.

Carlos

I always thought the folks who designed the firearm were much more knowledgeable than myself.
Wouldn't they setup (drill-out) the breech plugs properly in the factory?

jlanecr500

I shoot cva. My question is, what would happen if you took a very small drill bit and bored out the hole just slightly bigger?
TIA
The flash or vent hole is designed to perform multiple tasks. 1, to prevent loose powder from reaching the primer which would fall out if you remove the primer when you want to render the gun unloaded per TWRA rules. 2 the volume between the vent and the primer is called the primer flame channel. When the primer fires, the powder ignites. As pressure rises in the barrel, the vent hole meters flow back to the primer. If the vent hole is too large, pressure will rise too quickly on the primer. The same thing happens with a long barrel. Think pressure vs time vs flow thru the vent hole. 3 209 primers make a lot of pressure but are not as hot as a large rifle primer. Hot 209 primers make enough pressure to move the bullet and powder before the powder is fully ignited. Hence the need for muzzleloader low power primers like 777 primers or other muzzleloader 209 primers.

It's best to leave the vent hole alone. Clean the primer flame channel but leave the vent hole alone.

jlanecr500

If they do, man something had to happen.. I can't get 2 shots without mine clogging..and a small needle is barely getting in to clean.
Your flame channel is likely filled with carbon. If the primer flame channel is carboned up, the vent hole will not self clean. It must be cleaned from the primer side by hand with a drill bit. I don't have a plug handy to measure the hole diameter. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.
th-249423493.jpg

Last edited:

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The flash or vent hole is designed to perform multiple tasks. 1, to prevent loose powder from reaching the primer which would fall out if you remove the primer when you want to render the gun unloaded per TWRA rules. 2 the volume between the vent and the primer is called the primer flame channel. When the primer fires, the powder ignites. As pressure rises in the barrel, the vent hole meters flow back to the primer. If the vent hole is too large, pressure will rise too quickly on the primer. The same thing happens with a long barrel. Think pressure vs time vs flow thru the vent hole. 3 209 primers make a lot of pressure but are not as hot as a large rifle primer. Hot 209 primers make enough pressure to move the bullet and powder before the powder is fully ignited. Hence the need for muzzleloader low power primers like 777 primers or other muzzleloader 209 primers.

It's best to leave the vent hole alone. Clean the primer flame channel but leave the vent hole alone.
Best Answer Award goes to this post.

CHRIS WILSON

Pretty much spot on. The flash hole is designed to a specific size for the purpose of regulating pressure coming back into the breach plug. Boring it out can cause a couple of problems such as excessive back pressure blowing out primers and having excessive blow back eroding the breach face on the receiver. As mentioned, it's best to leave it alone.

Latest posts