Igniting Pellets w/BH209 Breech Plug?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
My new Optima V2 came with the BH209 breech plug instead of the standard. Until now I've principally used White Hots pellets in borrowed Optimas with the standard breech plug.

My question is, is there any real reason to spend $20-30 on a "conventional" plug if I end up going the pellet route this season?

Seems I've only ever read about why the BH209 plug is better for loose powder, but not a situation like mine.

Carlos

You're definitely in the right place for advice.
I'd go with what's recommend by the manufacturers, when if it costs more money. Having a misfire at the worst opportune time will 'cost' you more, for sure.
Best of luck this season!!

Last edited:

CHRIS WILSON

The issue with using the loose powder/BH209 plug with pellets, is that the pellets may not seat all the way back against the flash hole due to the way the breech plug is cupped out. This can create a void/space between the pellet and the flash hole that the flame has to jump in order to ignite the pellet. That can potentially cause ignition problems. I've known folks who have used pellets with the loose powder plug and never had an issue. I know others who have experienced the occasional misfire or hang fire with the combo.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
The issue with using the loose powder/BH209 plug with pellets, is that the pellets may not seat all the way back against the flash hole due to the way the breech plug is cupped out. This can create a void/space between the pellet and the flash hole that the flame has to jump in order to ignite the pellet. That can potentially cause ignition problems. I've known folks who have used pellets with the loose powder plug and never had an issue. I know others who have experienced the occasional misfire or hang fire with the combo.

Yeah, and I would hate for condensation to build in that gap on cold mornings.

Latest posts