Breech Plug Cleaning

Hitit9999

What are some quick ways you guys clean a breech plug? I always store my gun with the plug out. And I thought I had cleaned it last year when I removed it, but apparently I did not

dsam

What are some quick ways you guys clean a breech plug? I always store my gun with the plug out. And I thought I had cleaned it last year when I removed it, but apparently I did not
This is the way I do it. Get some bore cleaner and pour down in there. Let sit for a few minutes. Your need a small bore brush to scrape out all the residuals of the powder build up. Need get some q-tips with the wood handles, because the cotton the swab is tight and will not come apart inside the plug. Once the swabs show no dirt on them, get a sewing pin and push down in the small part of the plug several times. Make sure you wipe the end of the pin off every time. Then hold the plug up towards a light like in your garage, to ensure you can see all the way through the plug. I have never had a miss fire. If it is raining always cover the end of the barrel with your glove or whatever you have in the stand. Also, if you use pellets whether 2 or 3, make sure you do not have a lot of gun oil in that area! I use HOTWHITE PELLETS, 150 Grains in my Thompson. Hope this helps.

GMB54

Qtips wont do squat to clean out a flash channel. Use a 3mm drill bit by hand for the OEM QRBP or a 1/8" bit for the BH209 plug. Even Western powders tells you to do this. Why do you guys waste your time doing a poor job when its so easy to do it the right way.
ejGIRDN.jpg

Every single shot you take starts filling the flash CHANNEL with carbon and it gets harder with each shot. Takes a couple seconds to remove it with the correct size drill bit. I use hex shank bits in a nut driver handle. Solvents are good for removing light amounts or finishing up. Start with the bit.

These Pro Shot port brushs work well too for removing carbon left behind. They will scrub the channel down to shiny bare metal in no time.
kCtR8v3.jpg

Last edited:

GMB54

^^^^
I use the drill bit trick above, then I'll use a wire brush on the threads, then soak it in bore cleaner. After it soaked for several hours or overnight, I spray it with some denatured alcohol and blow it dry with my air compressor.
Brake Clean or carb cleaner work well too for finishing up. After all, what is carb cleaner made to dissolve?......Brake clean will get rid of any traces of oil/solvents.

MUP

Qtips wont do squat to clean out a flash channel. Use a 3mm drill bit by hand for the OEM QRBP or a 1/8" bit for the BH209 plug. Even Western powders tells you to do this. Why do you guys waste your time doing a poor job when its so easy to do it the right way.
ejGIRDN.jpg

Every single shot you take starts filling the flash CHANNEL with carbon and it gets harder with each shot. Takes a couple seconds to remove it with the correct size drill bit. I use hex shank bits in a nut driver handle. Solvents are good for removing light amounts or finishing up. Start with the bit.

These Pro Shot port brushs work well too for removing carbon left behind. They will scrub the channel down to shiny bare metal in no time.
kCtR8v3.jpg
Yes, I have the drill bits to get the rough out. I also have a .03125 end mill to clean the flash hole. ;)

GMB54

Yes, I have the drill bits to get the rough out. I also have a .03125 end mill to clean the flash hole. ;)
Why would you need to clean the flash HOLE? The flash hole GROWS with each shot. That is exactly how a breech plug wears out. Once the hole grows too large its toast. So if it GROWs why would you need to clean it?

Only thing you need for the flash hole is a .035 pin gauge. When the pin gauge can pass through the flash hole you need a new plug or vent liner.

MUP

Why would you need to clean the flash HOLE? The flash hole GROWS with each shot. That is exactly how a breech plug wears out. Once the hole grows too large its toast. So if it GROWs why would you need to clean it?

Only thing you need for the flash hole is a .035 pin gauge. When the pin gauge can pass through the flash hole you need a new plug or vent liner.
😅 Remember, I make my own vent liners, I'm not worried about wearing one out. Plus, just rolling the same sized drill or end mill thru the hole with one turn isn't going to cut anything but a little carbon buildup. :)

Last edited:

GMB54

I have a plug with over 500 shots on it. Never once has it needed carbon removed from the flash hole. You completely dodged the question and my point.

There is NO NEED to clean a flash hole unless you plugged it up with your cleaning routine. Carbon does not build up on the hole. Every shot blasts it down to bare metal. :rolleyes: I have plugs made from 4340 without a vent, plugs with Lehigh vents and plugs with tungsten carbide bushings. None of them has ever needed carbon removed from the flash HOLE.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Plastic Dental toothpicks work very well to run down the the hole. Non abrasive brush /pick . I keep a few with me for reloading in the field. .

RobDooley

ejGIRDN.jpg

kCtR8v3.jpg
In addition, I also use a torch tip cleaner.

Latest posts