Got Drawn for President's Island Dec. Buck Hunt

TheLBLman

I think most state parks should have some limited hunts at least every few years....regardless of size.
I don't disagree with that.
But it's NOT TWRA disallowing the hunting on those state lands.

Again, to TWRA's credit, they have tried to get hunting on most state lands of significant size.
All they can do is all they can do.

Antler Daddy

I don't disagree with that.
But it's NOT TWRA disallowing the hunting on those state lands.

Again, to TWRA's credit, they have tried to get hunting on most state lands of significant size.
All they can do is all they can do.
I would agree.

But just because they said no last year, who is asking and has the responsibility for asking again this year?

No is the easiest answer. Persistence overcomes resistance. No is often I don't KNOW enough to make an informed decision to choose yes.

PickettSFHunter

Somewhat agree & disagree.
I agree TWRA could do more WMA management with a greater bent towards quality than quantity, but not sure there's a whole lot more of significance TWRA (or the State anything) could do to provide a lot more hunting on other "state" lands.

TWRA is assisting in the management and hunting opportunity on most the larger state parks, right?
Talking about some like Natchez Trace State Park, Pickett, Prentice Cooper, Chuck Swan, etc.
Are there any of large size now that don't have hunting?

Just thinking that most "state" lands currently offering no hunting are relatively small?

To TWRA's credit, they also have made arrangements on some federal lands such as the Oak Ridge WMA. MOST our complaints regarding Oak Ridge are not TWRA's fault?
The State Parks in GA that allow limited hunting by quota are rather small. There are many like them in TN. The parks are shutdown for the 2 day hunts and hunts take place during the week. Cabins and campsites are for hunters only. Really a great system to address overpopulated deer and you see some real dandies get taken. Just in my county, I know of several thousand TDEC acres that are closed to hunting for no reason. There are no hiking trails, public attractions, etc. Magnify that across the entire state and you have a lot of opportunity that is not being taken advantage of.

TheLBLman

Just in my county, I know of several thousand TDEC acres that are closed to hunting for no reason. There are no hiking trails, public attractions, etc. Magnify that across the entire state and you have a lot of opportunity that is not being taken advantage of.
This is a shame, but can't pin it on TWRA.
Maybe if the deer populations become a problem, they will seek help, maybe from TWRA?
THAT is exactly how it happened with President's Island (as I understand it).

I'm not aware of most TN counties having that much acreage where hunting is not allowed.
If "your" county is Pickett, it may be that the local poachers keep the deer from over-populating?

I do know many the smaller state parks have hundreds of acres where there are (my opinion) too many deer, but the deer density is somewhat kept in check by the hunting around those park boundaries. Based on my understanding, most these state parks not allowing hunting have no desire to interrupt other activities (like they're doing in GA) to have any deer hunting.
Shame, but is what it is.

I remember back in the mid-1980's the federal land now known as the Oak Ridge WMA had a severe deer over-population. The feds agreed to allow TWRA to "manage" some deer hunting there, the main purpose being to reduce the deer density. The feds didn't seem to have any interest in providing hunting "opportunity", but TWRA did.

Now that the deer density there is somewhere between low & reasonable, the feds at Oak Ridge seem to have little concern as to whether hunters drawn for their quota hunts there actually get to go hunting?

Hope I'm wrong, but I see a future with less deer hunting on federal lands, not more. Look at LBL as an example. Smaller state tracts might get opened up to hunting if the deer density gets too high.

PickettSFHunter

This is a shame, but can't pin it on TWRA.
Maybe if the deer populations become a problem, they will seek help, maybe from TWRA?
THAT is exactly how it happened with President's Island (as I understand it).

I'm not aware of most TN counties having that much acreage where hunting is not allowed.
If "your" county is Pickett, it may be that the local poachers keep the deer from over-populating?

I do know many the smaller state parks have hundreds of acres where there are (my opinion) too many deer, but the deer density is somewhat kept in check by the hunting around those park boundaries. Based on my understanding, most these state parks not allowing hunting have no desire to interrupt other activities (like they're doing in GA) to have any deer hunting.
Shame, but is what it is.

I remember back in the mid-1980's the federal land now known as the Oak Ridge WMA had a severe deer over-population. The feds agreed to allow TWRA to "manage" some deer hunting there, the main purpose being to reduce the deer density. The feds didn't seem to have any interest in providing hunting "opportunity", but TWRA did.

Now that the deer density there is somewhere between low & reasonable, the feds at Oak Ridge seem to have little concern as to whether hunters drawn for their quota hunts there actually get to go hunting?

Hope I'm wrong, but I see a future with less deer hunting on federal lands, not more. Look at LBL as an example. Smaller state tracts might get opened up to hunting if the deer density gets too high.
The point is that it may well be because of how TWRA is set up as a separate entity. GA is able to get this done because Wildlife and State Parks are under the same DNR, ran ultimately by the same people.This creates a relationship instead of what you see with TWRA and the other TN state agencies, since TWRA is on their own playing field. This in effect creates less collaboration in TN.

TN Larry

My group should have 13 points after this year's draw. We decided to not try to be drawn again this year by adding my son to our party even though some of our point group will be drawn this year. I just hope it is planted and don't flood next year as we should have a guaranteed draw. This will be our third time hunting the island. We have been fortunate to go twice during the glory days. It is ashamed that it has declined over the years, however, there is no other hunt at this point that appeals to me. I dread the trip again as it's several hours away but will plan to camp and make it a good trip either way. I am not sure what the quota hunt draw strategy will be after we go hopefully next year. I live within an hour of Catoosa, but that hunt just doesn't appeal to me. There are a few good ones killed every year, however, it is prime time here when the hunt goes on and don't want to give up those days to go to Catoosa.

From what I hear I am being optimistic, but PI at half of what it was will still be worth it to me more than any other WMA draw at this time. As said above, everyone has different goals and satisfaction.

wadeelwood

I was drawn and hunted in 2019. I've been to Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky and Missouri. Hunted some great buck in the all them states. Best hunt I've ever been on. Seen 4 bucks over 150. One that was in the 170's. I was the only hunter left after noon on the last day. Everyone left. I loved it. Hope I can get back one day.

TN hunter

I have neve understood waiting 11-12 years for it. Cant shoot 150 inch 8 point. There are plenty of good draws with good opportunities. I remember the year PMC got drawn freaking ice storm . He sent pics of ice sickles off the blind.

But that what make the sport fun... not everyone has the same goals or wants
That was the year I got drawn as well. It was horrible!! I remember trying to keep the ice from my bow. I had ice all over my tree umbrella.

Madbowh

I've got 11 points. Should draw in a year or two.
From what I've read the people with more points get drawn first but on here I don't see it I have 0 points every year because I get drawn for something every year. I see a lot of people with lots of points not sure why they aren't getting drawn

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
From what I've read the people with more points get drawn first but on here I don't see it I have 0 points every year because I get drawn for something every year. I see a lot of people with lots of points not sure why they aren't getting drawn
Because they only put in for PI, not any other hunt. Build the points up until they can draw PI, and at the moment that looks like 12 or 13. After a couple more years, it may be 14, 15, or more. Number of folks at 9 and below is getting larger and larger as you go down the number of points.

jaybird62

Somewhat agree & disagree.
I agree TWRA could do more WMA management with a greater bent towards quality than quantity, but not sure there's a whole lot more of significance TWRA (or the State anything) could do to provide a lot more hunting on other "state" lands.

TWRA is assisting in the management and hunting opportunity on most the larger state parks, right?
Talking about some like Natchez Trace State Park, Pickett, Prentice Cooper, Chuck Swan, etc.
Are there any of large size now that don't have hunting?

Just thinking that most "state" lands currently offering no hunting are relatively small?

To TWRA's credit, they also have made arrangements on some federal lands such as the Oak Ridge WMA. MOST our complaints regarding Oak Ridge are not TWRA's fault?
You can take Natchez Trace, Chickasaw and maybe a few others out of this equation. Deer hunting is not done on the "State Park," but instead on the State Forest land adjacent to the park. Some of these public land hunts need to be managed for current populations/objectives. A lot of them, I'm guessing, are being managed today on plans that were written a... long... time... ago....

TheLBLman

You can take Natchez Trace, Chickasaw and maybe a few others out of this equation. Deer hunting is not done on the "State Park," but instead on the State Forest land adjacent to the park.
I had overlooked that.
Those areas are still relatively small, and hunting is heavy around their perimeters?

Don't take me wrong, as I'm agreeing they should allow hunting in them, albeit maybe less (than the surrounding areas), maybe more controlled, and/or maybe archery only.

For example, some areas in around more human activity (such as campgrounds) could simply allow archery-only deer hunting, say after December 1st annually, or maybe just one week or one weekend annually.

Still, can't blame TWRA that it hasn't happened.
They may be be able to more proactively help it happen.

DoubleRidge

Because they only put in for PI, not any other hunt. Build the points up until they can draw PI, and at the moment that looks like 12 or 13. After a couple more years, it may be 14, 15, or more. Number of folks at 9 and below is getting larger and larger as you go down the number of points.

Correct......and this is commonly referred to as "point creep".... especially when putting in for certain units out west.. when you begin the process say it takes 6 points for a particular unit....then as you get closer to that number of 6....it takes 7... then it creeps to 8....so for PI I agree.... eventually it will likely take 14 or 15......buddy and I are earning our 11th point this year....so we will most likely experience the point creep....part of it.

AT Hiker

I was drawn and hunted in 2019. I've been to Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky and Missouri. Hunted some great buck in the all them states. Best hunt I've ever been on. Seen 4 bucks over 150. One that was in the 170's. I was the only hunter left after noon on the last day. Everyone left. I loved it. Hope I can get back one day.
That is 100% opposite from what I many others experienced that same year. Glad you experienced the exception.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Quotalady posted this earlier, but it shows the creep in points pretty well. Just my guess, but I'd say most folks with over 2 is putting in just for PI.

ppwma-jpg.83533

bobbuck

You are definitely the exception from what I have read from the last few years. That's awesome that you saw that many quality bucks!

Latest posts