Got 4 shoulders on the smoker

fishboy1

Awwww pooohey!

GOt up at 3:30 to check the shoulders. 170 on the outside shoulders, 166 on the inside 2. My target temp was 183 for the center 2 shoulders. Then I was going to take it all off and put in a cooler until cutting time.

Wife was getting up at 5 and was supposed to shut it off. So in my foggy thinking at 3 am, I bumped the temp of the oven up 25 degrees.

Overslept and woke up at 8 to discover the inside temp on the outside shoulders was 205 and in the inside shoulders 198.

Hope they aren't ruined. :(

mike243

probably be the best ones you have ever made,i smoke 12+ hrs at 225 depending how big stuff is,if you have to cut the meat instead of pulling it apart it hasnt cooked long enuf at your set temp,hope they turn out great :) ,mike243

fishboy1

mike243 said:
probably be the best ones you have ever made,i smoke 12+ hrs at 225 depending how big stuff is,if you have to cut the meat instead of pulling it apart it hasnt cooked long enuf at your set temp,hope they turn out great :) ,mike243

You were on the money! Shoulders were still moist and just fell apart. Good smoke flavor, good bark, Tasty! Think I am going to go with the pack and make my target temp just over 200' for a finished temp.

I like the rub flavor to be a little stronger so you don't really want to add BBQ sauce but it was still excellent.
Next time I am going to use a little more rub on the shoulders and a little more apple cider vinegar in my injector marinade.

BigAl

DntBrnDPig said:
I also cover my butts with yellow mustard before putting the rub on. It helps keep a lot of rub on the meat.
Never heard of that. Sounds like something the folks in the carolinas would do. Might give that a try sometime, but I'd probably have to add something to the mustard just to be different.

abeer4me

BigAl said:
DntBrnDPig said:
I also cover my butts with yellow mustard before putting the rub on. It helps keep a lot of rub on the meat.
Never heard of that. Sounds like something the folks in the carolinas would do. Might give that a try sometime, but I'd probably have to add something to the mustard just to be different.

This Carolina boy would never do that to a butt. Cider vinegar tabasco, crushed red pepper, and salt.

fishboy1

Ugg. Hate mustard. Would never do that to a butt.

I like the memphis style/carolina hybrid.

Memphis rub with some vinegar.
Sooooo tasty!

Forgot to get a finished pic and pulled the shoulders before I remembered to take a photo.

DBLAARCHERY

When smoking meat its all about the temp...If you take them off to soon you will not have that proper smoke ring...At 170 degrees or so the meat changes its chemicals...Its best to not over cook but I am sure these ate just fine...Cut the outside off and serve...

JSassassin

when covering with mustard it just helps the rub stay on, by no means can you even taste any mustard after it is done...i always do this on ribs or any pork or beef that i smoke

fishboy1

jssblues said:
when covering with mustard it just helps the rub stay on, by no means can you even taste any mustard after it is done...i always do this on ribs or any pork or beef that i smoke

Interesting. The heat must break it down.
One of my rib mop sauces is 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 2 cups apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of sea salt. The mustard flavor is very very faint and doesn't over power the meat