Gonna tell on myself

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Had a first yesterday.
Hunted Friday in the pouring down rain. Then again on Saturday.
Hadn't planned on going again but went yesterday.
I am kinda anal about taking care of my guns.
I failed my shotgun badly.
Found out I could go yesterday but never cleaned her. Never brought her in the house.
I use that 80 below grease or whatever it's called.
I don't care what kind of oil or grease you use if you basically dunk your gun under water then try to hunt in single digit temps a couple days later you will be holding an expensive stick.

I was more ashamed than mad but luckily there was a spare gun available.

I feel Ike someone should call Gun Protective Services on me.

Spurhunter

I traded for a Beretta Extrema 2 a few years ago. I only duck hunt a couple times a year and cleaning the gun has not been on my radar. Yesterday was my first time for this year. The gun hung up a few times, was light striking the primer occasionally, etc. We still killed the limit, but it took longer than it should have. My son took it home and tore it down since I had something I had to do. He said it was absolutely filthy and dry. He cleaned it, lubed it up with the oil he uses on his duck gun, and the action is slick as a button now. Unfortunately I couldn't get off work today so I couldn't go try it out.

Mud Creek

I feel Ike someone should call Gun Protective Services on me.

20240116_091116.jpg

Iglow

I don't know, some swear by those auto shotguns, I guess they are fine but in duck hunting I'm hunting with a pump. I've seen autos fail too many times when the weather is bad and that's when duck hunting is best. We get too few of those good days to have to fight with a gun to keep it working. Just my opinion.

FourWFarm

I hunted Friday in that weather and when I took my stock off to clean the internals, I literally poured water out.

There is no way it could have operated after the temps went below freezing.

Latest posts