Not sure what I’m gonna do

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've had a lease in Arkansas for about 12 years, and it is definitely work. Some years more than others, but always work. The really good days are not as often as they used to be. Life was a lot easier when I just deer and turkey hunted.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm telling ya @RUGER sell everything you got and spend that money on a few good trips to North Dakota. Not sure how easy the freelance is anymore (or if you'd want to do it) but even getting a guide up there once a year would create a ton of memories for you and man.

X-Tennessean

Faced this 16 years ago now after moving to Missouri from Martin thinking I was moving to the next "Stugartt Ark". Growing up hunting at Terrell exit (primarily) along with Crockett and so forth and get to Missouri to which no one I work with is a fowler and I tackle Ten Mile pond, Otter Slough it didn't take long for me to get a belly full of all the headache and decide I was not as mad at ducks as I once was! I guess you can say I was spoiled and I will be the first to admit that I was and it was NICE!!
I have since decided to do a guided snow goose trip once/twice a year to get my fill but after some bad trips I just gave it all up......hence the reason I sold yall the decoys a few years back!
Do I have friends here that have some bang up spots....you betcha! Most are established with members to which I could probably get in but I just don't have the desire and have not opened that door, not to mention the $$$ it takes here.
I replaced duck with crappie and feel it fits me better, if I wanna go....I go and if I don't I sit and tell myself I shudda fished today! No hastle of trying to get guys together to prep and brush blinds or get decoys rigged or anything else that goes with the territory.
I am honestly getting that away with deer as I have not hunted the past two seasons but feel that will change with my son coming into the picture now days!
I agree as suggested as far as guides but I would pay the extra for a sure enough reputable guide even if it meant a 3-4 day trip outta state.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
i'm an addict, I can't give up the addiction of waterfowling, it's been single digit kill days for the last 10 plus days, today the blind killed 40+ birds. I'll just keep on keeping on
I guess that's my problem, I am definitely not a duck hunting addict.
The ONLY reason I ever started was because my son did. All his life if he was interested in it I was too.
Just getting old I guess.
:D

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
A good duck hunt is as good as it gets to me but it's getting hard to achieve unless you are pretty well off financially, which is a shame….
I have a good friend who has a buddy that owns one of the best duck holes in West TN.
It is a pit that's history goes back for over 50 years.
Long story short he reclaims use of it this coming year.
I'm sure I will be able to go there and hunt a couple times.
I mentioned getting "in" on it.
He said his buddy is talking about leasing "holes" in the pit.
He said they would be "around" $15,000.00 per hole.
My friends brother told him, sign me up for 2 holes.
I just had to shake my head.

Hymie3

I have a good friend who has a buddy that owns one of the best duck holes in West TN.
It is a pit that's history goes back for over 50 years.
Long story short he reclaims use of it this coming year.
I'm sure I will be able to go there and hunt a couple times.
I mentioned getting "in" on it.
He said his buddy is talking about leasing "holes" in the pit.
He said they would be "around" $15,000.00 per hole.
My friends brother told him, sign me up for 2 holes.
I just had to shake my head.

Yea. That's what I mean.. every good lease I've been on the "guy in charge has at worst paid for his own part of the lease through charging other members enough to cover himself and at best made extra money off of it. I definitely liken duck hunting now to, say pike county Illinois or similar for deer hunting. Unless you have relatives or friends with good property a duck membership is going to run minimum 3500 a head in Arkansas. That's tough to swallow for the average man.

ImThere

I guess that's my problem, I am definitely not a duck hunting addict.
The ONLY reason I ever started was because my son did. All his life if he was interested in it I was too.
Just getting old I guess.
:D
As we get older it truly does get harder to keep up with our kids. Lately I been just as happy to watch the grandkids and let the parents go do the "thing".

tickweed

Its a very tough sport. We havent zeroed untill this morning, but I left with a gun not being fired. They are still hunting, so maybe a group will fall in on them. We went from fifty to sixty days, to 10 - 12 a day, now 2=3 a day. Just no ducks. Ran tons out before daylite, went back to refuge, full moon kills it, plus so much fresh water. We need cold air. I love it, with all my heart, but it is really hard.

webfeet7

Not sure how much money you're wanting to spend or anything but I agree with the rest of these guys. Spend a little cash and take a trip or 2 every year. Canada is on the pricey side but as far as the experience it doesn't get any better. I've been 3 times and it's worth every penny. Wake up and go hunt a dry field in a layout or A frame, watch the dog work, kill limits almost guaranteed, and then return to the lodge for a huge breakfast and a relaxing afternoon. I'm sure you can do something similar closer and for cheaper if you do some research on good outfitters.

beefydeer

Take the money you spend on the lease and decoys and all that stuff and do a week up in North Dakota. The only expense is travel up there and license.

BDS05

Swallow some pride, participate in *more opportunities* and if all else fails take the above advice.

Sauger, walleye and crappie

Deer

cmn

Maybe you and him could just book 1 or 2 hunts a year for 2-3 days each with a reputable guide at a good spot out of state? 1 or 2 memorable hunts a season would be better than a whole season of misery and trouble. If he still hunts and draws a blind(assuming he still puts in for them)or if there is somewhere you can join him then you take a day and hunt together then go back to fishing when its over.
I agree fully. I have told several of my "unlucky" clients to spend the money with a guide. I told them to try in state and adventure to somewhere out of state. This can be like throwing darts at a board....Just like tying to pick a few days to go fishing. No guarantees but a good change of pace....

Latest posts