Gonna be a long year

BSK

Can't wait to see my sons pintail in this with a dead mount.
Built it for him last year.
Wood is well over 100 years old.
One of my best friends grandfather built the barn the wood came from.
Gonna be sweet.
View attachment 160900

That's going to be really cool Ruger. But I gotta' ask, how did you cut that wood or put a nail through it?

Years ago, when my family first moved to KY and we were building a new house, my parents wanted to line interior walls of certain rooms with old barnwood. They bought an old barn to strip (core of the barn was pre-Civil War). Most of the exterior boards were 100+ year-old oak. We found those old oak boards were as hard as steel plate. Couldn't cut it, couldn't hammer a nail through it.

Union Co. Boy

Party hunting legal now? Everyone does it but few openly admit it.
Well, I have never had a problem admitting when I am wrong. I only get to duck hunt once or twice a year. After reading these posts I questioned the more experienced members of our group. The second bird I was counting was a tie shot that we rock-paper-scissored for. The bird that I took the pic with was my shot alone. Admittedly, I was unaware that the second was a pintail when I shot. It was an immature bird with a large group that came in. My fault for not positively identifying it. They explained to me that the solo shot was my bird and the tie shot legally went to the other guy. Yes, I should not have fired at the second bird. But, they said technically and legally, it went to the other guy. We were just having fun in the blind with the tie breaker. So we weren't "party hunting". It was just fun between friends. Sorry that I have ruffled some feathers. I have always adhered to any and all game laws. I'll eat my humble pie and consider myself better educated. I do appreciate folks pointing this out. Also, sorry to Ruger for hijacking this thread a bit. That's embarrassing.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Well, I have never had a problem admitting when I am wrong. I only get to duck hunt once or twice a year. After reading these posts I questioned the more experienced members of our group. The second bird I was counting was a tie shot that we rock-paper-scissored for. The bird that I took the pic with was my shot alone. Admittedly, I was unaware that the second was a pintail when I shot. It was an immature bird with a large group that came in. My fault for not positively identifying it. They explained to me that the solo shot was my bird and the tie shot legally went to the other guy. Yes, I should not have fired at the second bird. But, they said technically and legally, it went to the other guy. We were just having fun in the blind with the tie breaker. So we weren't "party hunting". It was just fun between friends. Sorry that I have ruffled some feathers. I have always adhered to any and all game laws. I'll eat my humble pie and consider myself better educated. I do appreciate folks pointing this out. Also, sorry to Ruger for hijacking this thread a bit. That's embarrassing.
Lol all good here man !!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
That's going to be really cool Ruger. But I gotta' ask, how did you cut that wood or put a nail through it?

Years ago, when my family first moved to KY and we were building a new house, my parents wanted to line interior walls of certain rooms with old barnwood. They bought an old barn to strip (core of the barn was pre-Civil War). Most of the exterior boards were 100+ year-old oak. We found those old oak boards were as hard as steel plate. Couldn't cut it, couldn't hammer a nail through it.
The back has a modern 1x2 all the way across to help hold it together and to hang it with.
I drilled pilot holes then used screws.
The sides and bottom shelf I used a nail gun that worked really well.
My goal was no exposed fasteners or cut edges.

Latest posts