Food Plots Getting my latest start ever

Wiley

October 11 is the latest we ever planted in Hardin County and this year it will be the 15th. I'm gonna plant 3 way plot seed and hope for the best. My fear is that it's gonna get cold earlier than we've seen in a while but maybe the wheat and oats will make it from sprouts and grow. Not worried about what little clover that's in the mix.

After turkey season next Spring I think I'm gonna kill and turn every field and keep them killed all summer in preparation to go back to 100% Ladino clover on every plot like I had several years ago.

tellico4x4

October 11 is the latest we ever planted in Hardin County and this year it will be the 15th. I'm gonna plant 3 way plot seed and hope for the best. My fear is that it's gonna get cold earlier than we've seen in a while but maybe the wheat and oats will make it from sprouts and grow. Not worried about what little clover that's in the mix.

After turkey season next Spring I think I'm gonna kill and turn every field and keep them killed all summer in preparation to go back to 100% Ladino clover on every plot like I had several years ago.
I'm not far from you. If you saw my clover right now, you might reconsider putting "everything" in it. You'll not find a bigger fan of clover than I am, but mines the worst I've had in 20 years. Spent over 2k in clover herbicide this summer & it looks like we didn't spray any of them right now. Weeds have surged with the two droughts this year. Got 20+ annual plots that I planted on Sept 8-10 and gonna get to do them again. Been wrestling on weather to overseed with wheat or rye in front of rain ... If after 15th it'll be rye as it is more cold weather resilient, actually will germinate in freezing temps.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Why till? Just frost your clover in this winter. The cereal grains will offer som protection for the clover till it's established. Let the grain go to seed! Turkey will be all up in it plus it's great cover for rabbits and quail. After seed is gone just mow the straw. The matter will also help the clover by shading out weeds and keeping the soil more cool and moist. Then fertilize your clover with 6-24-24. If you have weak spots just seed in more clover in late august and mix in some annual clovers. It will be flush by season opener

Wiley

Popcorn, I want to use my double bottom disc plow (old turning plow) on at least 2 of my 7 plots. They get real hard over time AND I've found arrowheads on them after discing. Turning the plots and letting the organic stuff decompose will help get rid of some unwanted growth as well. I grew up in a time when the old disc type turning plows were the order of he day after crops were gathered.

When I had everything in clover, about 15 years ago, I had the most lush plots imaginable. Not a weed in them due to the maintenance that I put on them. I kept them that way until the 6th year and went to plot mix. I want to get back to straight clover on at least some plots.

BSK

2019 was my latest start ever (planted Oct. 20) due to mid-August through late October drought. This year may beat that. Well, actually, I've already planted, but will need to top-sow heavily sometime this month.

Latest posts