Game bags..

Tenntrapper

For those that quarter/debone in the field, what game bags do you recommend?? Ive seen the cheesecloth type, synthetic, canvas, old pillow case, trash bags, etc. What do recommend?

Edit to add....for whitetail deer.

backyardtndeer

One of the benefits of hunting the backyard, ours go right into the cooler, but I bring them back to the garage before quartering them.

I used a couple garbage bags for my antelope in Wyoming for the hike back. Then immediately put the meat in the cooler. If I were going to be where I had to keep them in bags for a while, would probably consider the cheesecloth type.

shirtshirt

I packed one out in TN this past year and used Koolabuck heavy duty. I don't think the heavy duty was necessary, but I didn't want one busting on me.

Hduke86

Depending on the weather and distance I will use a couple of contractors bags when it's cold outside but if it's warm and I have a little ways to go I usually use just the cabelas brand or what not. Main thing is for it to cool down as quickly as possible and to keep the meat clean from dang bugs. I hate walking up to a deer in bow season and fighting the yellow jackets and fly

knightrider

I quarter most of those we kill here where they fall, ive gotten to old and out of shape to drag em up and out of these hollers and over mtns😂, i just put several contractor trash bags in my pack for the haul out and once to the truck I immediately take them out of the bags and lay em in the coolers

Omega

I got these: Allen Backcountry Quarter Bags / Meat Bags for Hunting - 4-Pack
iu

I use to use plastic bags, but they leave a bunch of blood pooled inside, these didn't seem to, and it was easy enough to fit an entire deer in these four bags (used 3). I do place a wire rack on the bottom and plastic bag between the ice and the bags in the cooler, so the melt doesn't soak into the bags, worked great.

JCDEERMAN

Depending on the weather and distance I will use a couple of contractors bags when it's cold outside but if it's warm and I have a little ways to go I usually use just the cabelas brand or what not. Main thing is for it to cool down as quickly as possible and to keep the meat clean from dang bugs.
I'll echo this, in that when it is warm, do not use trash bags, specifically the black ones. We had a whole elk spoil several years ago. The meat needs to breath and cool off. We have always used pillow cases out west. They are very durable and can be washed

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
If you do use a trash bag, even temporarily or to hold ice in the cooler, make sure it is unscented.

BlackEagle1

Just my opinion…… I use black ovis bags and have no complaints. They wash up easy and you'll get years of use from them. Alaskan and caribou game bags are a good options also. The cheap options out there are generally one time use in my experience. You will never catch me putting meat in plastic bags. +/- $50 will put you in a nice set of bags that you can likely pass down to your kids.

Latest posts