FT CAMPBELL 2013

medwc

Re: FT CAMPBELL

That's just a 2 1/2 yr. old, pffft.

lol...

Dang it is nasty out today. Still hoping to get out this afternoon.

JDP

I am a proud and humble man today...I was able to experience my son's first hunt ever and to top it off he took a good 8 pt buck. Im truly blessed and I believe he will continue to grow as a hunter and enjoy the outdoors as much as we do!

Mr.Bro

Wussed out today guys. :grin:

After 2 hard days in the woods,and still havent seen a shooter since september,i slepted in.Have been wanting area 25 since last year abd just dont like going out in the rain.If a get cought out when it rains i'm ok.This morning was just to much.
Stayed in bed till 9.

You know after 2 1/2 months my camper was real dirty.Worthwhile time spent cleaning.

Got home early enough to spend a few hours with my granddaughter.The last 3 times she stayed with us.I was of course in the woods.Well worth missing the afternoon hunt.

Sorry i missed the party in 25.Anyone do any good?

JDP

Ok so the story... We got to area 40 just about 1:45 or so, took a drive around to see where everyone was. Well no one else was there, couldn't blame them because it was windy as heck and was supposed to storm again before dark.

Passed a doe feeding in a bean field that had already been harvested. Slipped by her and headed to cut corn field.
Got the blind brushed in and got settled after setting out some scent bombs and a review of gun safety and operation.

We sat there and talked like best friends.. he told me all about school and video games. I explained to him how and why people use grunt calls and rattling antlers and deer scent. He asked if I had a call and antlers... I said of course. He laughed and said why the heck aren't we using them? lol So we rattled, grunted and even used a can call. Nothing!

About 4:00 he said deer!! I couldn't see it.. he was fooling me and crying wolf... so I told him to keep an eye out because it can happen that fast! He had to pee so I told him to unzip the blind and step out but to look before he did. Well as he returned from using the bathroom and before he could get seated, there was a deer to our left. Dark body and small 6 pt, I asked him if he wanted to shoot him. He said well can we wait because we still have time and something bigger could come out. I said yes we can wait. The deer just fed there 20 yds up wind and made his way across the field.

Well my son was ready to go after the deer left, thinking we didn't have time left to get any more action. It was 4:50 and my son said deer!!!! I said yeah right... no really deer..the deer was walking right to us from up wind! He said I want to shoot this one because he is bigger! I said ok get the crosshairs on him where I showed you earlier. Ok.. on him but he needs to turn and stop. I let out a bleat and the deer stopped 15 yds in front of the blind and he put it on him!! He kicked and ran into the woods. All he saw was the fire coming out of the barrel and didn't see the hit and he thought he had missed. He was heartbroke.. I said no way man you hammered him!!! He was so excited then. I reloaded the gun just in case another deer came out. I started texting momma and getting everything packed up, then the rain came. It poured like water from a boot. We got soaked packing everything up. Went to check where he ran into the woods and there he was 20 yds piled up.

Mtn Hunter

JDP, congrats to your son once again. I was at the checking station when u guys pulled up and heard the story. What about that rain??? I got soaked both this morning and afternoon. I've never hunted in such severe weather before.

JDP

Mtn Hunter said:
JDP, congrats to your son once again. I was at the checking station when u guys pulled up and heard the story. What about that rain??? I got soaked both this morning and afternoon. I've never hunted in such severe weather before.

Thanks Mtn Hunter and everyone else!! It was crazy...didn't realize there were tornado warnings out. We got up this morning but decided to back to sleep. Glad we did!

Rebels20

I have never hunted the Fort before, and will be going in totally blind. I was drawn for area 50 thursday. Anyone have any pointers or any other info would be appreciated. Thanks!

homer1230

Rebel the best advise I can give you is look at your topo find natural terrain features such as draws and spurs, saddles etc. and compare them to overhead imagery on the internet. I would look at choke points and once you are out there find a good trail and walk in and sit. That's what I have been doing and seen deer every time I go out. It's going to take a couple of hunts to get familiar with the area.

Latest posts